Cannot update AntiVir Personal Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by tslocum7, Feb 24, 2004.

1. tslocum7

tslocum7 Private E-2

I am having problems using the internet updater in AntiVir Personal Edition to update the program. I have version 6.22.09.09. All it will do is say it is opening the file and then just sit there and do nothing. Sometimes it will get as far as showing how many updates are out there, but it won't do anything after that. I've heard that there was a lot of traffic on the server, but somehow I find that hard to believe since before last Tuesday (2-17-04), I could get on anytime during the day and update this program. The last time I managed to update this program successfully, was last Monday (2-16-04). I've been trying in vain ever since to update again, but to no avail. Now the updater shows me that there's a whole new version of the program out there, but I can't get it or the other updates because of the situation I just described. I've tried several different times of the day to try and update this program to no avail. Any help will be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm going to start looking for another anti-virus app. Thanks.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Just download and install it, should update that way for you. It was JUST updated again as well.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

no, this is AntiVir. A FREE desktop anti-virus.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well, anti-spyware and antiviruses are different animals. they don't perform the same tasks. I don't know of any application that is both.

An antivirus runs realtime scanning while the standard anti-spyware program is run manually to scan for files.

take a moment to read the following:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25834

7. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

i have had that trouble before with norton it was my firewall not letting me download the update maybe the same for u

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

can't help you there.. if you're in the USA, then I suggest using the download link that says BTN.

Support for network issues is for another forum ;)

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

can you start a new thread with your questions?
    You hijacked this one pretty good ;)

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Future reference. The short answer is no. Mcafee, Nortons and many companies make all in one packages, spam, firewall, anti-virus and spyware, but none of the all in one packages I see do it all really well enough. Each have their strong and weak points.

Heres a few I can suggest, though others may have:

Security section on MajorGeeks:
    AVG anti virus. I like the interface better then AntiVir.
    Zone Alarm - Fairly easy to use firewall that has a free version.

Spyware section on MajorGeeks:
    Depends how anal you are and if you go to a lot of spyware sites. If so, you need both Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Ad-Aware. Run them every couple of days. If you see little to no spyware (you always have a few cookies) then space it out and if you continue with little to no spyware, do it weekly and with one program.

Do one thing at a time, dont be overwhelmed

11. tslocum7

tslocum7 Private E-2

Oh?

Well, if I have to uninstall the previous version and install the newer version, then what's the point of having the internet updater? Furthermore, what if the internet updater won't update the newer version when new updates comes out? I don't personally feel this is a problem with the program. I feel it's some sort of server issue on their end. Installing a newer version of the program is not going to resolve a server issue. At least to my knowledge it won't. And if I have to completely uninstall this program to get a newer version of the same program, then I might as well look elsewhere for another anti-virus app. The reason that I feel that it is a server issue is because before last Tuesday (2-17-04), I could get on anytime of the day to update this program. Starting on 2-17-04 and everyday since then, I have not been able to update it. Although, sometimes the updater will get as far as showing me what updates are out there and then it will just sit there and say it's trying to open the file, but will do nothing beyond that point. So, how could the internet updater go from one day working fine to the next day not working at all? I've also seen several other posts from other people having similiar problems with the internet updater. So it's not just me either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds