Cannot Update To Windows 10 From 8.1 System Reserved Partition Too Small

Discussion in 'Software' started by janner66, Jul 12, 2016.

1. janner66

janner66 Private E-2

Hi,

I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 as the system reserved partition is too small. I have tried to extend it using various tools but it just won't let me extend it. It appears to be in GPT format with a status of other but there are no menu options to enlarge it. I have tried using Ubuntu but I can't seem to boot it from a USB drive for some reason.

Unless somebody has any ideas how to enlarge this system reserved partition I think I am going to have to do a clean install of Windows 10 but I'm not really sure how to do that either. I have downloaded the media creation tool and installed it on a USB drive but I'm not sure if I have to have already updated to Windows 10 previously for me to do a clean install? I am just worried that if I wipe my C Drive and try and boot using the media creation tool that it won't work as I have not yet obtained a Windows 10 key. I have a genuine Windows 8 key. If I do a clean install of Windows 8 do you think the reserved partition might be okay then and I can proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade. Perhaps it got full up updating to Windows 8.1?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Do not attempt to change a disk's partition arrangement without first creating a full disk image and knowing how to restore it to a non-booting computer, otherwise you could easily lose Win 8.1 too. You could use Macrium Reflect for this and would need an external drive on which to store the image file. Having said that, you cannot enlarge a partition without first creating some elbow room by adjusting the size of an adjacent partition, usually the partition immediately following. A good tool for this would be Minitool Partition Wizard. However I have to warn you these operations are not really appropriate for someone lacking previous experience as they can be highly destructive. Unless you can get a suitable person to help my advice would be to stick with 8.1 as I cannot see how you would be able to activate 10 if you did a clean install - see the MS activation article HERE.

EDIT - I missed that you have a genuine Win 8 key. If that is so then you can use that key to activate a clean install of 10, no need to upgrade first. You should still image your disk first.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. mmgeek

mmgeek Private E-2

yes , you can use some tools to do that , but keep in mind that you should backup now system before you do

4. janner66

janner66 Private E-2

Thanks for your help both of you. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 8 and then (eventually after more problems) updated to Windows 10. To help anyone else if your upgrade freezes at a certain percent (mine was 23%) try it again but unplug any USB devices including the mouse and keyboard after you restart the computer and before it boots back up. It sounds crazy and I don't know why but it worked for me. I got this answer from another forum so it worked for others too.

Earthling likes this.
  5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Thanks for the feedback. Unplugging everything in similar situations is a tip I'd rather forgotten about but clearly worth remembering.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds