Cannot View Videos or Connect to Internet on Certain Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by oddvacado, Jan 9, 2011.

1. oddvacado

oddvacado Private E-2

I did something very silly and clicked on a sponsored link on Google that ended in me installing hijacker malware on my computer. :cool

I successfully removed the hijacker antivirus software, but I don't know how to revert the changes it made. Last time this happened to me I had to replace a file with the word 'log' in it I believe...?

Anyways, I can connect to the internet through browsers (obviously) but I cannot view flash files of any sort as of a few minutes ago, and since this afternoon I can't view web pages on Steam or other programs, nor can I update much of my software. What can I do to fix this?

2. oddvacado

oddvacado Private E-2

Well... scratch one part... It seems I can view videos, but i can't view from user's profiles on Youtube. I still can't view web pages brought up by Steam nor update certain programs.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

What version of Windows are you using?

Often, and this is usually if your browser is in an "unusable" state, you can completely reset IEx to it's original settings. "Unusable" can have a bevy of meanings, on several different levels. It will also take out a few other things, such as browsing history, and possibly cookies.

Internet Options>Advanced Tab> at the bottom, you will see "Reset..." .

Afterwards, you will have to make sure you are up to date, but it helps restore the settings those types of malware "tweak" for their own purposes.

4. oddvacado

oddvacado Private E-2

I am using Windows XP Home Edition. Also, I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

Regardless, the problem appears to be solved! I'm not getting connection errors from anything and I can view videos with no problem! Thank you!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds