Cannt Access Windows XP Help Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tweety1964, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

Have no idea why, but when I click on "Help and Support" on the start menu, the files will not load. I tried accessing them by going in the Windows folder and clicking on the file I need, but no dice. Same thing happens. I don't recall removing any of these files (I may be semi computer savvy, but I'm not an idiot) so I'm not sure why the files won't come up. Any suggestions? Should I try using System Restore to see if that will correct the problem (only restore point I found was for yesterday--March 3) or download and reinstall the Help files (if that option is available)?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

This might help you:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

Problem with restore is it sounds like you are using limited space so you have limited restore points. It won't do you any good to restore UNLESS you can restore to before the problem started so this will most likely not be of help to you.

3. Major Attitude

4. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

Downloaded and ran the file you suggested. Didn't solve the problem. What other options do I have?

5. Major Attitude

Did you reboot after just in case?

6. Major Attitude

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Pardon the intrusion - just a quick check (I don't know what those files MA linked to do, but just in case): check your Services.msc, make sure the Help and Support service is started and Automatic...

EDIT: Yikes - you're quick, MA - disregard my post...

8. Major Attitude

Can you run it by making a shortcut to it on your desktop?

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpSvc.exe

9. Major Attitude

One more:

Click Start, Run then type:
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr -regserver (Hit enter)
    regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx Hit enter)

Let me know if you have done everything up to here that I suggested above.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds