Cann't boot to hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dobhailen, Dec 2, 2006.

1. dobhailen

dobhailen Private E-2

First off it finds everything correctly and how should be, but when installing windows when you get to the step after copying files where it needs to boot to the hard drive to finish the install it wont do it and just goes back to the cd and starts a loop.

Any ideas?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

After the files are done being copied, and the PC restarts, enter the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the HD first instead of CD first. I think that when the PC is rebooting, you see the message that says 'Press any key to boot from CD.....' and you're pressing any key ;) Only do this once to start the file copy. After the files are done copying (blue screens with the yellow progress bar) and the PC reboots, DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. Just let the prompt sit there, and it'll boot to the hard drive after 15 seconds or so....

hopperdave2000 :)

You'll only have to change the BIOS boot order if the PC boots to the CD even if you don't press any keys. (If it did that, it'd be really weird. I've installed XP over 150 times on many PC's and NEVER seen the CD boot without pressing a key at the 'Press any key....' prompt).

3. dobhailen

dobhailen Private E-2

Actually no i wasnt and i had already changed it but that wasnt the problem. Im not sure what was. . . .Maybe if i tell you how i fixed it you can tell me what the problem was to fix if come up again.

All i did was took a old 30GB hard drive i had around and put in the machine as Primary Master and hooked the other hard drive up as Primary Slave and reinstalled windows on the 30GB and its up and running just fine now.

P.S. So have i and oddly it did boot without pressing any key

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds