Canon 60D will not read PNY Optima SDHC 8GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhotoFaery, Jul 23, 2011.

1. PhotoFaery

PhotoFaery Private E-2

Greetings. Newbie to forum here. I have been using a PNY Optima SDHC 8GB card with my Canon 60D for about 10 months with no problems. Today I downloaded photos onto my pc, put the card back in my camera to reformat and use again today at a shoot, and camera says, "No Card in Camera". I took the 8 GB card out, put a smaller card in, camera reads it fine. Put the 8GB card back in my pc, pc reads it fine.
    Is there an average lifespan for these cards?

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

There should not be a short lifespan to solid state media but their will be some issues with the contacts on the card as they can wear out over time and large usage.

I feel that this maybe a formatting issue, so while I would normally state only format the cards in the camera of use, what I would try in your case is to format the card via your PC (what Windows version you using BTW) then re-format in the camera.

Also a small trick I learned while working for Kodak is to use an eraser to clean the cards contacts as they maybe dirty, but this may not be the case as the card reads in the PC ok but still worth a try.

3. PhotoFaery

PhotoFaery Private E-2

Thank you Oh Masterful Grand Pooh-Bah. I tried the eraser on the contacts first thing, didn't help. I am using Windows XP, and I have never reformatted via computer, always in the camera but I did consider this. I am running late to a shoot, but I will try that when I get back.

Thanks for your help.

Faery

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds