Canon Printer Prints, but not from Word??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Apr 9, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

This is another 'stumper' to me.
    A friend's computer, which I'm in the process of replacing, recently manifested this issue and the ordinary steps didn't solve. Need you guys to educate me :-D

This is some kind of Canon photo printer [used for text etc]. It will print a test page. It will print from Webmail [dishmail in this case]. But it will not print from Microsoft Word. Tried a simple text message in Notepad and it would not print that either.

So we fetched later driver stack & bloatware from Canon. NO change. After reboot its business as usual. Its set as the default printer, its online, it works, it prints test page, but MS Word .... nada.
    This seems to have started just a couple of weeks back, so far as we can tell.
    This is not a geeky user, so he does not download things just for fun, and does not update his system via Microsoft or other good vendors.

What should I try? I'm ASSUMING the print spooler is ok since it will print SOME things... just not the main/obvious things.

Z

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Check that the default printer is the one showing in the Print dialogue box.
    Check that the paper source is set to automatic or whatever you have (not manual feed)
    Check that it's set to print all pages.
    Check all other settings.
    Also check Page setup>Print tab options in Word (paper source, paper size, in particular), as well as Default Tray under Print>Options>Print tab, and any other options you can find.
    Also make sure Print to File isn't checked in Print dialogue box.

What does it do when you try to print? Nothing? Error?...

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I'm wondering if, since one of the 'features' is its image-print capabilities, is there an option that only prints image files? the test-page function is image, and it will print from a simple photo-editing program, "Fix-it". it will not print from notepad or Word, though it is the default printer and is attached to the computer via USB. It will sorta print from email [webmail] but has an odd way of doing so.
    Reloaded newer drivers, rebooted, same problem.

no it gives no errors. just does nothing.

Does the image program by chance NOT require Print Spooling? :confused

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Zapp,

The original Print Spooler was to provide a place to store your print data and feed it to the printer as needed so that you could continue to work on other things. It was always your choice to have it active or to turn it off. Turned off you would have to wait for the printer to finish printing before you could go back to work. I don't know what the "New and Improvers" may have done to it lately. Hope this helps a little.

Try it with Notepad, Wordpad and any other printing programs you have. May point to Word as the culprit.

Good Luck,
    Jim

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Ok, so I take it you checked all those settings I mentioned. Did you look for a function that only prints images? I've never heard of it.
    Here's a long shot if you working from a laptop, based on your mentioning the magic word "USB".
    Maybe it's a USB problem - I have no idea why it would be. But here's something a couple of us have been trying when USBs give trouble, and it's easy to do, so you could give it a try if you like:
    Unplug the power lead and remove the battery
    Hold down the start button for 30 seconds
    Reconnect battery and power lead and retry.

If it's a PC, you could try uninstalling the USB drivers and reboot (they will reinstall automatically).

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What model?
    I looked over Canon's choices and some printers are photo printers. I was unable to find information on whether these printers are capable of printing anything besides photos.

7. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Looks like photo printers only print pictures. The Canon Selphy only prints JPEG (see attachment, which is a page from the Troubleshooting section of the manual - see Q at top right)), while others (checked Canon and HP) only print JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc.

Attached Files:

8. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Turned out this was a simple cartridge issue. didn't know the canon uses one cartridge for text, others for other things.... makes sense now

9. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

A msg on the screen telling you you need to change cartridges would have been nice!:mad

10. pc_monkey

pc_monkey Private E-2

Hi I am having the same issue with my canon 2200, it's an all in one scanner, printer. when I 1st got my printer it worked fine I hooked it up to my laptop and printed from word it worked fine. One day I was clicking on the word app in windows 8 and clicked open one note by accident ,after that word would no longer print, I am pretty sure that one note thing screwed it up.

11. pc_monkey

pc_monkey Private E-2

It definatley is one note you can print through that program. some how it hijacked the printer when I opened it, I tried changing it back to the 2200 being the default printer but it doesn't work. somehow I think skydrive plays into it as well

12. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Probably should have started a new post, but anyway...
    Looks like you have to stop OneNote from starting automatically, then put your default printer back to what you want.
    The following is from:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8455985_stop-microsoft-office-onenote-launching.html
    Not sure how it will go with Win8, but if you can find Administrative Tools, you should be OK.

1. [FONT=&quot]Click "Start," then "Control Panel." Click the "System and Security" link.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]Click "Administrative Tools" and wait for Windows Explorer to open and display a list of shortcuts to system utilities. Double-click the "System Configuration" shortcut link.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]Click the "Startup" tab after the "System Configuration" window appears on the screen. Locate the Microsoft OneNote option in the list of startup programs.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]Click the check box next to the Microsoft OneNote entry to disable it from running when Windows starts. Click the "OK" button to save the changes and close the "System Configuration" window.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]Restart the computer. Microsoft OneNote no longer loads when you boot into Windows. To start OneNote, you must click "Start," "All Programs," "Microsoft Office" and then "Microsoft OneNote."[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=&quot]Click "Start," then "Printers and Devices."[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=&quot]Locate your preferred default printer in the list of devices on the screen. Right-click the printer device, and click "Set as Default Printer" on the pop-up menu.[/FONT]
    8. [FONT=&quot]Close the "Printers and Devices" window. Windows programs no longer prompt you to print to the OneNote virtual printer when printing documents. Instead, Windows prompts you to print to your preferred default printer. You can still print to OneNote by choosing it in the "Print" dialog box.[/FONT]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds