Canon ZR80 doesnt work on win98 with firewire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-068c403e2d, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

I have a zr80,i want to connect the camcorder to my pc running win98,has a firewire port.Do i need additional software?Canon says no.But I am not getting anywhere.Help!

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

do either the camcorder or the firewire show in the device manager? might try scanning for new devices or uninstalling them then scanning

3. Anon-068c403e2d

The firewire is detected but no camera

4. BillD

BillD Private First Class

Silly question, but is the camera on? It won't detect if the camera isn't turned on.

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Hey Build,
    The camera is turned on.Should I install drivers for camcorder.I have installed for the firewire card and device manager shows it working.Canon doesnt have drivers.I guess the camcorder doesnt need any.

What video editing software is necessary to detect the camera?

6. BillD

My panasonic camera came with software that was installed on the comp. There are some free programs available that will allow you to capture the video, and free programs to edit. Try to do a google search for them. We haven't tried any of them but a few members of another forum use them and recommend them. One of them is called Avid, but I'm not sure which one it is.

7. Anon-068c403e2d

Hey Billd,

Thanx a lot,

Tell me if i can just burn the dv stream to my cd without editing software.
    Thanx Again.

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You need drivers for a camcorder in Windows 98.

In XP, it will be detected as removable storage and XP has it's own drivers it installs.

You don't need to edit the video, you just need to capture and burn it.

Did you get basic video software with your camcorder?

9. BillD

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you should be able to burn the raw video to DVD as an AVI file and it would be playable in WMP. I'm just guessing , here as my wife does the video here and she always edits it so it will play as a standalone DVD, in which case it has to be rendered before it is burned. http://www.videohelp.com/dvd is a site that may be of some help to you. We are going through a search for software that works every time on her comp, and there is a big differenc between packages. You might want to try down loading some trial versions of programs from Pinnacle or Ulead, to get an idea of what is available, and what can be done. Also, there may be some free versions, which you can find through google, or the videohelp forum.

10. Anon-068c403e2d

Insomniac:You tell me I need a driver,you are dead wrong because such a thing doesnt exist.Go and search the canon website.The ZR80 model has no drivers,though zr85 and zr90 has usb drivers,no firewire drivers for these models as well.
    But tell me if i can download anythin as a microsoft dv driver.
    Anybody can help?

11. BillD

You don't need fire wire drivers for a specific cam, but possibly USB drivers to take off the stills.

12. Insomniac

Read what I said before you misquote me kadavill.

I said Windows 98. XP doesn't as I said. It treats the device as removable storage and contains it's own drivers.

Anyway, you obviously don't need my help, you seem to know better. Good luck. :)

13. Anon-068c403e2d

Insomniac:I didnot misquote you.I never quoted you even.I just said canon doesnot have drivers for 98,2000,Me,or Xp.
    Canon never says it doesnt suport win98.This means you are wrong.
    I am sorry for being so strong in my replies to you insomniac,Maybe you should get some sleep.The reason i am unforgiving to you is because canon doesnt give me any support and you guys make me even more mad.

One good news:The camera works in windows xp.BILLD you are right xp doesnt require any driver.It was cool.
    I need to work it on my 98.I do not want the xp.
    Please continue your investigations friend.

Sorry if I am not thankfull enough!

14. Insomniac

You keep saying I'm wrong, like you get pleasure out of it.

I would have been prepared to have helped you before, but your attitude tells me you know it all and don't need help.

Keep being a smart arse and see how many replies you get.

Tell someone you don't agree with them or they are incorrect, that's fine, but to say " Maybe you should get some sleep " is uncalled for, so you can just help yourself.

The funny and gratifying part is my Canon Video Camera works great, so does my computer.

That includes the drivers I installed that Canon also told me I didn't need.

Having fun bumbling around, good bye and good luck. lol

15. Anon-068c403e2d

INSOMNIAC:WE SHOULD MAKE UP.
    THE ZR80 IS A GREAT PRODUCT.DONT MISUNDERSTAND.

LET ME QUOTE YOU:That includes the drivers I installed that Canon also told me I didn't need.
    COULD YOU PASS ME THOSE DRIVERS.I NEED THEM.

OR TELL ME WHERE YOU GOT IT.

16. Anon-068c403e2d

Hey I am waiting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds