can't access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olrayt, Nov 30, 2007.

1. olrayt

olrayt Private E-2

hello!

i have a problem with my new isp. i just had, for the first time, a dsl connection. the speed's great, but i encountered some problem while trying to surf at some rather well known sites. i can't access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com. i can open blogger.com, but when i press the new post button the browser seems to be stuck in "loading" mode. all of the sites above seem to be stuck at "loading" mode when i try to access them.

i've tried the following:
    -use my new dsl line to try to access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com. no go.
    -called the tech dude from the dsl isp to get dns numbers. inputted new dns numbers. tried to access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com. no go.
    -using my prepaid dial-up card to access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com. access granted!
    -uninstalled zonealarm, avg, avast, and ad-aware. tried to access no go
    -reinstalled zonealarm, avg, avast, and ad-aware. tried to access *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com using the new dsl line. still a no go.
    -used numerous proxy servers with varying degrees of success, none of them really hassle-free.

the last three digits of my ip address changes every time i log on to the internet using the new dsl line. what does this mean?

i also found out that the ip address of my new dsl line is in spamhaus' pbl list. is this something i should worry about? is this the cause of my minor yet discombobulatingly irritating *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com problem? would it be safe for me to remove my ip address from their list?

short of switching back and forth between the prepaid dial-up isp and the new dsl isp or completely forgetting about *.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, and myspace.com, what could i do?

other things i tried:

tracert'd some sites using the dsl line and the dialup line. all tracerts seemed fine (no request time outs) but i still can't access the problem sites with the dsl line.

i do remember being instructed by an online game to remove the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line from the HOSTS file. since then i put that line back, but i still can't access the problem sites.

what should i do?

thanks!
    thanks!

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Have you checked your internet options (security) to see if the sites have been inadvertently added to your restricted sites? If they have been, it will block the websites from loading.

3. olrayt

olrayt Private E-2

how do i do that? :D

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Control Panel > Network & Internet Options > Internet Options > Security tab > Restricted Sites > Sites button (Assuming Win XP)

5. olrayt

olrayt Private E-2

still a no go.

odd thing is, i can access wordpress.com via their forums. but if i go to wordpress.com itself? no go.

weird. and when i use my dial up to access wordpress, myspace, or *.blogspot.com, i can access them! and without restarting or turning the modem on and off or clearing the cache!

what do i do?

btw, i'm running win2k with sp4

6. olrayt

olrayt Private E-2

wowowee!

i just installed opera and i can access the problem sites (*.blogspot.com, wordpress.com, myspace.com)!!!

the only thing i can think of is this: firefox and internet explorer have been installed in my pc prior to getting the dsl. and opera was installed after getting the dsl. does this have anything to do with the problem?

thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds