Can't access my Seagate Freeagent Desk powered USB HDD on my Netgear WNDR4000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mvinc01, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mvinc01

mvinc01 Private E-2

I have a new WNDR4000 that I just setup yesterday. The setup was very user friendly and everything installed in a snap. The network with four laptop PCs, two IPhones, an Iconia, a Nook, a wireless HP printer, and an ITouch is working great! Fast and no issues...except with this Seagate Freeagent Desk powered HDD.

When I have the HDD connected via USB to the USB port on the WNDR4000, the drive does not show up anywhere on the network. I've gone through all the webbased Netgear Setup GIU settings, including the UPnP and the USB settings and made everything share accessable. I spent an hour on the phone with a Netgear Level 1 Serv Tech, consulting a Level 2 Serv Tech, and their best "guess" after going through all their troubleshooting was that my WNDR4000 is defective and to return it. Not happy with that answer or the inconvienience it would be at all. I find it hard to believe the router is defective. The tech did not seem very capable.

Anyway, I disconnected the HDD from the router and connected it to my laptop, and my sons laptop, and the HDD pops riight up no problems. Overnight, I've connected it to my main laptop and built the new file tree from the ground up for all the files on the HDD. All are shared files and the HDD is formatted exFAT.

Please, please let me know if I'm missing something here. I really do not want to scrap this network for another one. I really like this router but file sharing over my home network is a major incentive for me. A buddy suggested my Cox Cable Linksys modem may be bad. Could that be causing my HDD issue even thought the whole network works great?

2. mvinc01

mvinc01 Private E-2

Bump...Any help anyone?

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I doubt it's the cable modem. That should be one step on the other side of the router and not in play here.

Is it possible that you can test the usb port with the Nook? I'm not sure if it would mount there or not. It might show as an unrecognized device.

If even Netgear thinks there might be an issue with their hardware, you should consider exchanging it. You can backup the configuration file to a computer and then restore it in the replacement router. If the configuration is wrong though, you'll get the exact same issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help, my network drives are on ethernet.

4. mvinc01

mvinc01 Private E-2

Thank you handygal.

5. mvinc01

mvinc01 Private E-2

Handygal,

How do I save my network settings to disk? Do I use the "Copy this network profile to a USB flash drive." function?

I'm going to take back the router for an exchange. I'm wondering if the USB port may be defective.

Thank you again.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds