Cant access old user account folder!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harpoon, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Harpoon

Harpoon Private E-2

Hi Guys,

Recently i reinstalled Windows as it was running quite poorly, only once i had reinstalled I no longer had access to my old user account. When attempting to visit the folder it displayed an error message saying access is denied. I did a bit of research on Microsofts site and they have instructions to claim ownership of the file but when i try to follow the instructions my file properties dialouge box is missing a tab that i needed. According to MS this is because Simple file sharing is enabled on my computer, unfourtunatly when i follow the instructions to turn this off i dont have the option avalible in the folder options box under tools in My computer. So ive struck a wall and i dont know what to do to access my original user account. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Harpoon

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

The option should be in the View tab, and scroll to the bottom.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its probably because you are using Windows XP Home, where Simple File Sharing cannot be disabled. Note there are two sets of instructions, one for Pro, one for Home.

For Home, there are two methods, one using CACLS, one using Safe Mode. I would try the method from Safe Mode, where Simple File Sharing is always disabled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds