Can't Access Router Settings Page

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NewsFlash, Sep 26, 2016.

1. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Hello,
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I can't seem to access my router
    settings page when connected by ethernet (wired) connection. I can access
    wirelessly from my cell phone though. It happens with all 3 browsers that I
    have, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browsers and it still won't work.
    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you mean the admin menu in your router?

Note you don't setup a Ethernet connected computer they same way as you do a cell phone. In fact, generally, there is no setup required at all. You just connect the cable and boot.

To enter your Router admin (settings) page from your browser, you enter the IP address of the router in the browser address box. It is typically something similar to 192.168.1.1.

3. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know how to enter the 192.168.etc address---that's the problem---it tells me the connection was reset, and I can't get to the main page of my router to change the router settings. If I use my cell phone, I can view the page but not with my wired connection. I'm connected to the internet alright, I just can't access my router settings page (192.168.etc.....)

4. Digerati

I don't understand what "connection was reset means". Are you even getting to the router's admin menu sign in page? If so, are you sure you are entering the correct password? You might try changing the password with your cell phone, then try again with your computer.

5. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

This is what I get when I type the router address 192.....etc into the address bar and hit enter:

upload_2016-9-26_18-16-3.png

It's the router system settings I'm trying to access, and cannot. I used to be able to.

6. Digerati

Then it seems you may not be entering the right IP address. Note this is not an IP address you need to worry about revealing. All routers uses 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 or 0.1. or something readily published. Telling it does not expose your network so you don't have to worry about bad guys there.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What brand and model is the router?
    What modem is it attached to?

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

So he must have the right IP address if he can see it on the phone. ?One possibility is the phone is connecting to the provider's router & the desktop is connected to your router? Is the 'welcome' page branded with your router's maker? Are the both the same maker?
    What is the ipconfig for the desktop? Open a CMD window and type ipconfig /all - what is the gateway? IP?

9. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

When I type ipconfig/all I get gateway.2wire.net and the same ip address that I have been using--192.168.......... I should probably mention here that I've done this before and accessed my router to change its settings before with no problems. It's just recently I can't get into the router from my wired connection. I have been able to this from my wired desktop before. I have turned off the wireless devices just in case they were somehow interfering with my wired desktop's ability to connect to the router. I don't know what to do.

10. foogoo

If you log in the router with the phone, is your external ip in the 192 range?

11. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

The router is a Bell 2wire 2701hg-g. Yes, the external ip is in the 192 range.

12. plodr

Bell 2wire 2701hg-g is a modem/router combo.
    Is this attached to another modem?

13. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Not to my knowledge. The desktop doesn't have a dial-up type modum in it, and it's connected via ethernet to the bell 2wire router directly. I have another desktop that does have a modum in it, and it is usually connected via ethernet directly to the bell 2wire router. But right now, that second desktop is not on and is not connected to the bell router. I just logged into my router via wireless laptop and tried to turn off the firewall in the router for the desktop that's having the problem, but bell won't let me turn it off.

14. plodr

I'm not talking about a dialup modem inside a computer.
    A modem also refers to a hardware box, used to connect to your ISP by dsl, cable, or satellite.

How many pieces of external hardware with ethernet 1 or 2 devices?

I think it is time to contact your ISP and tell them the problems you have.

15. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

I've already contacted my ISP and they signed into my computer remotely and could not fix this problem. I have a bell satellite receiver and dish, and wireless printer---I can't think of anything else..

Bell told me I might have a virus????????????????????????????????

16. Digerati

That's my point. It could be in a cache/cookie saved on the phone - but not the PC.

What is happening is the cell phone is connecting to the WAP (wireless access point) which requires an additional authentication (SSID and passphrase).

If you can access the router's admin menu with your cell, look in there to verify the IP address, the admin's username and password.

17. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

I just accessed the router menu with cell, and verified the ip address for the problem desktop is as I thought it was.

18. foogoo

If your external IP is in the 192, that is an issue. So we've verified that you have a PC directly wired to the 2-wire? How many devices are on the 2-wire? A phone wire and 4 port on the back? one port for the desktop? Are you using http://192.168.1.1
    http://192.168.1.254 or http://192.168.0.1? Have you power cycled the router?

19. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you connect to the router via wireless, can you access the page?

20. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

Yes. It's only the hardwired desktops that cannot access it.

21. Digerati

According to the Bell 2Wire 2701 user manual, you should be entering 192.168.2.1 in your browser's address bar to access the admin menu.

Understand this, IN NO WAY, is a security issue as that is NOT the IP address your ISP assigned to you that the rest of the world sees. That is just your local IP and easily accessible by anyone.

Unless you changed, them, the default credentials are:
    Login name: admin
    Password: admin​

Is that the IP, log in name and password you are using?

Have you tried a different Ethernet connected computer?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds