Can't access SOME subfolders

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sep, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Sep

Sep Private E-2

Hey all

I have my C:\ folder shared (simple file sharing disabled) and I can access it on the network (2 computers and a laptop through a router). However, I can't access SOME of its subfolders. When I try to open Documents and Settings, Program Files, and some folders or even files that I have created on C:\ it gives me the following error:

\\COMPUTERNAME\C\FILE is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administration of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?
    Btw, don't know if this helps, but I'm using windows xp pro on both computers.
    Thanks,

2. Sep

Sep Private E-2

Here's some more information: I moved one of those folders that I couldn't access to a folder that I can open, including all its subfolders. But the folder that didn't open still doesn't open.

3. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

i have the same problem, except my main pc (xp pro) can read my laptop, but not the other way around. my laptop uses xp home, ive gotten used to this and do it the long way, but i'm curious why this is too. i hope someone else knows how to get around this!

4. Sep

Sep Private E-2

I think I figured out the problem. I compared the SECURITY settings of the folders which I could access and the ones that I couldn't. I'm going to post the solution when my friend brings me back my laptop later tonight ('cause the windows XP on my desktop doesn't have the SECURITY settings in the folder properties for some weird reason).

5. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

maybe you could pm that to me, cause im going out now. im totally curious

6. Sep

Sep Private E-2

K here it is:

1. Right click on the folder you want to access (I think if you do it on C:\ it will apply to all subfolders) and click properties.
    2. Click the SECURITY tab.
    3. Click ADD
    4. Type either the computer name of the computer through which you want to access the files (I'm not sure if you have to write the windows account name as well or not). I did it the simple way: I typed "Everyone" as to allow the third computer on my network to access the files as well.
    5. Mark READ, LIST ALL FOLDER CONTENTS, READ AND EXECUTE and press ok.
    Now try and see if it works. Mine did :D
    I know how annoying it is not to be able to access another folder on the network. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds