Can't access windows update: Error number: 0x800704DD

Discussion in 'Software' started by KaisorSoze, Jun 25, 2009.

1. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Hello All

I am having trouble receiving windows updates, as I am getting this error message: Error number: 0x800704DD

I read this thread prior to posting:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=187811

I also followed the microsoft suggestion on this page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001

I initially found out that I did not have permission to edit the registry. I got that fixed, which revealed that I had the keys and keys values that were requested from the link above. I have checked several links and forums from other sites as well.

The only thing I didnt tried fully was to rename my Notify folder to "Notify_Disabled" and rename my Notify_Disabled to "Notify". I say "fully" because when I did make the changes, my newly "Notify" folder (previously the Notify_Disabled folder, which did not have anything in it) received a subfolder name "SensLogn" which is the same folder that must be edited as suggested in the microsoft link above. At this stage, I did not rename the Original Notify folder to "Notify_Disabled" in fear of having to make all the additional folders over, including key values that are inside of those folders. Hope this make sense.

I even called the free Microsoft help hotline, which resulted in about 2 hours of trouble shooting, but no fix.

2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

Do you have automatic updates enabled as suggested in the 'workaround'?

It may not relate to this error, but, are all the relevant microsoft websites listed under trusted zones in 'internet options'?

3. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Yes. The website is in the trusted zone, and automatic updates are on. Thanks for the response.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I do not see anything about changing folders on the MS page.
    You should be working with strings and DWord values in the registry - no folders involved.

Can you quote where you see information about renaming folders.

5. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Here is a link:
    http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/2009-04/msg00360.html

The suggestion to rename the folder came from someone else who had the same problem, not microsoft. An update: I went through two 2-hour sessions with microsoft help line, and still no luck. The tech assistants suggested that reinstall my OS with the system CD. However, the dude from the link above said that Microsoft was unaware of his easy fix-strategy. Again, i partially tried his suggestion, but after renaming the Notify folder to notify_disabled, the Notify folder seemed to stay will all of the subfolders, except the SensLogn folder, which was placed under the newly named Notify_Disabled folder. I was unsure whether I had to place all of the original Notify subfolders under the newly named Notify_Disabled folder. Hope it is not too confusing.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks. I was only reading the MS page.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds