Can't add ram to Slots 2 & 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jthorn322, Jan 14, 2005.

1. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

Just upgraded old pc AMD700mhz to AthlonXP1800. Changed out MB to GA-7ZXE that has three(512max) SDRAM Dimm slots. Windows ME System starts up fine w/256mb SDRAM/pc133 in slot 1 but when trying to add another 256 in slot two or three system the won't startup...wants to boot to Safe Mode and then when I click on "Normal" I get only a blank screen. I've tried setting the Vcache(which had no value) settings to MaxFileCache=524288 but still no luck. I have tried two different 256 sticks in the other slots with no luck. What am I missing? Thanks, Jeff

2. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I got this problem yesterday when I was putting together a computer from old scrapparts... I overlooked the memory speed. I put in one PC133 256MB and one PC100 256MB and set them to 133mhz in bios. The memory at least tried to work at that speed but failed when starting windows. After setting speed to 100mhz in bios everything worked like a dream. Check that.

3. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

Is my thinking correct that all my ram is pc133 then it shouldn't matter, except it would run slower if set at pc100??? Jeff

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

sounds like the dimm slots are bad I have a Abit board doing that, had to rma it.

As Phatsta said make sure of the speed of both sticks and check manual for what dimms you can populate

Rick

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

ALWAYS and ALWAYS use the type and amount of RAM supported by the Mobo, Always use known, reputable brands. Many people believe mixing PC100 SDRAM and PC133 SDRAM is ok, this is a very wrong assumption, even if at times it may seem to work, you can not guarantee a stable system.

Also for PC100/133 SDRAMs and AMD based mobos are particularly picky with SDRAMs, mixing low density with high density RAM would cause the problems you are experiencing.

But I agress with Doby, it could be as simple as a bad RAM slot, to confirm that simple use only the RAM stick that has been working all along and move it to another slot with each shutdown (unplug power cord, touch PSU to relieve ESD, etc.) so if the system still works with the good RAM in different slots than quite logically it would prove the other slots are fine.

6. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

All three sticks of Ram are the same pc133. All were(have) working on other board. I haven't put the one that's working in slot 1 in slot 2 yet( or others in slot 1), that's my next step tonight when I get home. I did however try both other(previously working sticks in slot 2 without any luck booting up. So, IF, checking the jumpers and they're set OK AND the other sticks work in slot 1, then I assume the DIMM's 2 & 3 are not working, correct? What's the next step then? BIOS settings? How are they fixed? I had a part-time Geek put the MoBO and a new cpu in. I'm hoping he just forgot to check the jumpers............. thanks, Jeff

7. Doby

Doby Sergeant

If you put a known working stick in dimm2 and then in dimm3 and the computer won't boot it is save to assume both dimms are bad. There is no bios or other setting to fix this so you either run it using dimm1 if you are out of warranty or return the mobo.

Rick

8. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

you're correct, the PC133 modules are compatible with PC100, but not the other way around as I was implying.

9. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

what I would do is try the modules one at a time in the slot you know is working. start up, if it works then move the same module to the next slot without adding any other modules. if it starts you'll know the slots are OK, then it's probably the mixture that's wrong. after that try the next module in the same way, until you've tested all the modules in all the slots. if it still works by then try 2 modules at the same time, moving them around to check.

if there's something wrong with the modules or the slot you should get a biod error beep code. if those beeps are 3 in a row you can be sure it's the memory modules.

if you can get into bios, set the memory speed at 100mhz to start with. as a fool-proof setting so to speak.

also, are the modules exactly alike or are they different from each other? two sided? banked? (banked modules are 'seperated' twice while the un-banked only once)

10. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

Maybe this is it? The only Ram that works is two-sided...The other two(that don't work in any slot) are one sided.....The Two sided only works in slot 1, not in slot 2 with slot 1 empty...Is this my problem? Mismatched? Jeff

11. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

In this case yeah, probably. Usually it's not that picky but some mobos are. It should say something about all this in the mobo manual, among the first pages. I suggest you read that and buy some new memory sticks if you still want more ram.

12. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

If the mobo's new I hardly think the ram slots are non functional. Of course it could happen but it's very rarely the case. The board might just not handle not having a module in the first slot. If you can, borrow a module just like the one you have that's working, and try running two modules. I'm sure it'll work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds