Can't boot from disc unless HD is unplugged. BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tearinitupson, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tearinitupson

tearinitupson Private E-2

I have been trying to fix a Dell 220s that runs Vista-32 which recently has the BSOD. I have tried everything I can think of as I am an entry level IT tech and I am hoping to get a little nudge in the right direction here. My problem is that the BSOD is a STOP Error 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA which usually indicates hardware error such as Memory but I have already switched out the harddrives and ruled that is the problem. The strange thing I can't figure out is that when the harddrive is PLUGGED in and I make CD/DVD the main boot drive it tries to load the recovery files, then enters the windows splash screen and gives me the BSOD again. However, if the HD is UNPLUGGED sitting on my desk and I boot from CD/DVD I CAN indeed access the recovery disc... You can see my problem as you can't rewrite the files if the HD isn't plugged in. PLEASE HELP!

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Dell's usually have a one-time manual boot menu activated by F12 during the Dell splash screen. Try to access it, with the HD connected and CD in tray, and choose to boot to CD from the list.

3. tearinitupson

I have tried accessing the settings using the F2 button AND using the one-time F12 function. I actually was using the F12 more so that F2 to try this. Still not working... Any other ideas? Never encountered anything like this before and it is a company computer so I really hope to get it up and running to save my boss a few $.

4. sach2

Yes, I see I misread your original post.

So without the HD it loads files and restarts and asks you what you want to do Install/Repair.

With the HD it loads files and restarts and gives blue screen.

What are you trying to do with the recovery disc? Repair the OS or fresh install?

5. tearinitupson

Exactly! It is the strangest thing? I know I could just replace the HD at this point and done deal BUT if the recovery works I wouldn't mind that or if I had to do a clean install that would be okay too. I really don't like the fact that it might take hours to reinstall all drivers and updates but I have all the files I need for my employees to work on a flash drive. Any reason why the HD is inturrupting the install disc?

6. tearinitupson

I guess I should have mentioned I also cannot start the computer in safe mode so as far as troubleshooting drivers etc. I can't do jack.. ANYTHING would be better than where I am at now with this problem. I found this post interesting with someone having the same problem but he didn't explain how he fixed it... http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/807282.htm

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Your posts are being caught up in moderation. Probably from using .............. :major

8. sach2

I know you think it is HD related but I think I would try booting from the CD with HD installed with just one RAM stick. If same error try with the other RAM stick.

Technically, after the reboot the installation should be running in Memory and not accessing the HD. I think it is worth ruling out memory error.

9. tearinitupson

I have already swapped the RAM out with a similar computer using the same memory stick. Its only got 1x 1GB stick and it worked perfect in the other computer. Its still in there actually :) I wanted to clarify that when the HD is installed and I try to boot from CD, after it loads the files the computer does NOT attempt to restart it just goes straight to the windows splash screen. Its like it gives up after loading the files...

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have not read this entire thread, so forgive if already tried, but have you put the hard drive in a different computer and tried to install or scan the drive for errors?

11. tearinitupson

I have tried that, thank you Tim. If I start the computer up it asks to "Start windows normally" (which will loop restart) or "Check computer for errors (recommended)" which will give BSOD.

I can only boot from disc if the harddrive is removed from the system. I even tried this morning to disable the other boot sequences so there was only 1 option, the CD/DVD drive. It still loads all the files from the disc and then for some strange reason tries to start windows by showing the splash screen. About halfway through splash screen load it gives BSOD. I'm truly stuck and am going to email by boss to buy a new HD if noone can help me haha I give.

12. sach2

I am not sure why you are booting from HD using the installation disc. It doesn't make sense. We must be missing something but I can't figure out what it is.

If you are certain that you have everything you need from the HD and want to try a fresh install then you could delete the existing partitions on the HD and hope the install disc works correctly with an empty HD.

A bootable disc of Partition Wizard gives the option to delete partitions or Wipe the Disc. You would download the ISO file and write it as an image file to a blank CD/DVD using imgburn or similar burning software. Clean up the HD and try again. No guarantees the install will proceed correctly but it will eliminate the possibility of booting into Vista.

13. tearinitupson

Can you boot from removable device using partitionwizard? I will bring a blank CD in tomorrow otherwise.

That sounds like a good idea though. Wasn't aware of that software but since we are just a small callcenter that only needs our dialer software and an IM program I can install from my flash nice and easy. I have the Dell disc as well so I think this might work. Thanks for all your help guys.

14. sach2

MiniTool wants $29 for a paid version that includes the ability to boot from flash drive. That is halfway to a new hard drive so not really worth it.

Other than adding this HD to the other computer as a second HD to work with it, I can't think of any other way forward.

15. sach2

I've been thinking about it and if you have an empty (it has to be completely formatted) USB flash drive you could download unetbootin and install Parted Magic on the flash drive.

That would give you a bootable flash drive with a partition manager. This is assuming your DELL wil boot from USB. You could then try two things.

1) Take away the boot flag from the Vista partition which should keep it from booting and may let you use a repair option from the Vista disc if the disc then works properly.

[​IMG]

2) Delete the Vista partition so you could try a fresh install.

Unetbootin is fairly easy to use. Download and run on a computer with internet access. Use the dropdown next to Distribution to select to download Parted Magic and hit OK to put on the USB.

16. tearinitupson

Thanks again for all the effort. I was just able to boot using the Partition Wizard. I guess "wipe the disc" is the best option here? I can still use the OS install disc with an empty, un-partitioned HD correct?

17. sach2

I'm trying to think if there is anything clever you could try. How many partitions do you have and is there any unpartitioned space?

18. tearinitupson

There are 3 partitions. An 8GB, the 10GB recovery and the OS. Its a little too late because I selected each partition and selected to "Wipe the Partition". I'm assuming when I'm done it will still be formatted but won't have any data. Hoping after that the OS install won't give me any trouble. Not looking forward to installing drivers etc. Sound good? haha

19. sach2

Let's hope you have no problems. A DELL install disk should work.
    Did you already Apply the Wipe procedure--that really isn't necessary if you haven't applied the operation.

BTW: Is the first partition actually 8mb rather than 8GB?

20. tearinitupson

Yea I hope not, otherwise I'm scrapping the drive. I did already "Apply" the operation. I could still cancel... doesn't seem like a good idea but what were you going to recommend as an alternative?

21. tearinitupson

Yes 8MB, my bad.

22. sach2

I was going to recommend trying to hide the OS partition and then try the install disk and let it try to install over the Recovery partition. What is done is done. It should not be a problem.

You may as well delete the 3 now empty partitions to create unallocated space and then create two new partitions and format to NTFS. One for OS and one (about 10-15gb) for backup. Was the 8GB partition really only 8mb (a DELL utility partition)--if so you might as well get rid of it?

EDIT: Yes, I would delete the 8mb partition and the second partition and create a new partition so you install the OS on the partition at the beginning of the disk. (If deleting those two is not enough space then delete all three and create two new ones one for OS and one large enough to create a backup image something like 10GB depending on how big hte drive is.

23. tearinitupson

Ya they had it allocated as 54MB, 10GB, 64GB. Seems like Utility, Recovery, OS would make most sense. I see what you mean now. No point in having empty partitions if Windows can just recreate them while installing OS.

Just realized that they Dell install disc says it only installs OS and not drivers or software. So it will be nice and bloat free but I'm going to be way behind in updates and drivers.. What is the easiest way you know to get caught up on all that stuff? Go to Dell website and then let windows do all its updates?

24. sach2

You'll probably only be missing LAN and video drivers (maybe modem). I'd just get the LAN and video from DELL and do a Windows Update. Then go back if anything else is missing.

There may be a better way but drivers are not something I am good at. I just go with the easiest way to get back up and running.

25. tearinitupson

I'm almost done installing windows, so far soo good. That Partition Wizard is going to be very handy to have. Thanks again for all your help Sach. If you were in So Cal I would totally buy you a beer! Cheers!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds