cant boot up after memory reseat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maddoghoek, Jan 27, 2006.

1. maddoghoek

maddoghoek Private E-2

hi i was wondering if anyone cud help me out. ive recently tried reseating my ram cuz i was freezing at random times in windows - especially during games. now as i reinsert the ram when i turn on my computer it does those long beeps when the ram isnt seated properly and stuff. i know the ram sticks work cuz i was just using them. i tried one at a time too.

i sometimes am able to get it running on 1 512 stick and i dont get the freezes in windows and stuff anymore but i wanna install the rest of my ram too - so then i try and it gets all jacked up again.

wud it be my ram slots on my mobo? i mean it looks like the middle section of the ram stick isnt going down all the way but theres nothing i can do about it, both the locks on the side lock in already and it still looks like the middle part isnt in all the way. and ive tried like a million times pushing the ram in. any help wud be awesome thx!

2. Ayanla

Ayanla Private E-2

There should be a notch, or two notches, on your stick of ram. Those notches have to exactly line up when you seat the ram into the motherboard. If the center isn't going in all the way, something isn't lining up right.

Also it's entirely possible that one stick of ram has gone bad, which would explain why all your problems evaporated when you booted up with just the one stick. It's also possible that one stick is incompatible with your other stick, or incompatible with your motherboard.

3. maddoghoek

maddoghoek Private E-2

cool thx for ur help! yeah the notches seem to align straight across. and the stick of 512 i used to make that one successful boot and stuff has the same problem as the rest of the ram. like 1) i insert a 512 it boots up and works 2) i try adding the second 512 then it doesnt boot 3) i take out the newest one i put in 4) now it doesnt boot up with the original one that worked. its like my mobo is extremely sensitive to any slight movement made to the ram while its in the slot.

4. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

You can try cleaning the contacts on the memory sticks. Scrub the contacts with a pencil eraser, then wipe them down with a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol. Give them a minute to make sure the contacts are dry, then reinsert them into the sockets. Do not touch the memory contacts with your fingers after you clean them. Hopefully, you didn't "zap" the memory with static. :-(

5. maddoghoek

maddoghoek Private E-2

cool thx. yeah hopefully i they didnt get zapped lol.

6. maddoghoek

maddoghoek Private E-2

nope no zapped. i just booted up successfully with the same 512 stick. i just have like a 5% chance of the mobo liking it and i dont wanna think about trying to add the other 2 512s at the moment lol.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds