Can't Bring Her Out of 'Stand By'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottportraits, Jul 9, 2009.

1. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Thursday July 9, 2009

Hello again, MG's best people::-D

I am having trouble bringing my desktop PC out of 'Stand By'.
    I rarely used this function, for several idiosyncratic reasons, but now I'd like to be able to do it. Unfortunately, the PC has other ideas about this decision.:confused

It seems like a hardware problem, so I stuck this post in here; but it may be an OS issue and belongs under 'Software'....

I go to Start > Turn Off Computer > and then hit the 'Stand By' button. The PC and monitor shut down like it is really turned off, except the little blue light behind the button (where you boot-up the machine) is 'on'. The machine does not purr or make much noise. That's what I thought it was supposed to do.....

Okay. So now, when I jiggle the mouse, or hit 'enter' or hit the space bar, I am waiting for the PC to come back on, which it seems to be trying to do. The machine starts to purr a little, but there is no great humming and the monitor stays black. I can't get it up and running, or even out of this state that I am now cornered in.:cry

The only way to go at this point is to press that button that normally boots up the rig, and has a little blue light on behind it, and hold it down until the machine manually shuts down. Then I gotta re-boot it back up again.

Is this something someone knows how to fix in a simple way ?? I'm no experienced officer, so the 'fix' has to be pretty easy and understandable by a rank amateur like me.:wave

Any help would, of course, be humongously appreciated,

-scottportraits:dancer

2. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Hello there, only advice I can give is to replug everything such as power cable, mouse cables other usb devices ect, oh and that pc powwer button light is that normally the colour of the light when pc is turned on or is it another colour?

Dacads

3. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi scottportraits,

the problem may be the network card. go to control panel/system/click the device manager button/expand the network adapters entry/right click on the network adapter displayed/select properties/look for settings that relate to power saving/stand by/hibernate and then modify.

Techsent

4. scottportraits

scottportraits Private First Class

Friday July 10, 2009

:-DYes.:-D That seemed to work. Went to Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manger button.....found the network adapter, opened it to find a Realtek Family Fast Ethernet NIC and right clicked on it.

Cracked into it's Properties and found several tabs. Went to 'Power Management' and found the checkbox for 'allow the device to bring PC out of standby'....checked it.
    The checkbox above it was already checked....allowing the PC to turn off the network card (?):confused to save power......should I leave it this way ???
    Also, a warning below states that the PC will rouse itself out of 'standby' periodically to "refresh its network state".....so I guess it will automatically come out of standby after some period anyway, on its own, so I will probably only use it now and then, if this be the case.

Something else: There's another tab under Network Card Properties: Advanced. There's a list of properties available, and going down the list I find none of them are enabled. There's a second box next to this list titled 'Value', and they are all turned off.
    The third property down is "Optimal Performance", and I was wondering why it is disabled. So I try and 'enable' it, but after closing the dialog window and re-opening it , it slips back into 'disabled'.
    Any thoughts about this? Wouldn't I want the Network Card to be optimized for best performance, and have it 'enabled'? The machine, however, thinks otherwise.
    I also ran the 'update driver' button, and it went online and found a better (newer) driver, which it downloaded and installed. Didn't catch the details, but it did happen.

So. These are the jokes. :cryI'm dyin' for a good laugh:cry......

-scottportraits

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds