Can't burn Lionux Mint ISO?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rocktot, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

I am using a 1 gig DVD, but when I unzip the package (linux mint) there is no ISO image. The only ISO image is the zipped file itself, which does not seem to want to burn to the DVD.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're using a 1GB DVD to burn an ISO that's 1.131GB in size. It won't fit. You'll need to use a regular 4.7GB DVD (it seems a waste, I know). I trust you've downloaded the latest version (16 "Petra"). The earlier versions are obsolete and unsupported.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded Linux Mint. I ended up with an ISO (see attached).

You don't unzip ISOs. You burn them as is. Contrary to what I've read, ISOs are not compressed images (although some files within the ISO may be compressed like .CAB files). But ISOs are bit-for-bit copies of the source material(s) and are burned to CD/DVD as is.

Attached Files:

3. Rocktot

sorry, it is a 4 gig dvd. The file shows it as a zip, I have XP, it does not show up as yours- it even burned a few of the files to the DVD then stopped. ??

4. Rocktot

Ok, I have probably the same file on another HD, what mirror did you use? Some don't have the right files

5. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

WinRar can extract .iso files, has come in handy on a few occasions.
    I have the new iso of mint here, 6 I believe. Like what I saw and experienced using the live CD, but haven't installed it anywhere yet
    Usually use IMGBurn to put iso to disk, but recently tried the Windows tool which worked just as well.

6. Rocktot

Nope, failed at the very end, took couple hours. grrrr- I ordered a disc of ebay incase I can't get this.

7. mdonah

Go here to download Linux Mint ISO. Choose the Edition you want (Cinnamon, KDE, etc.), the format (32-bit, 64-bit) and the mirror (I chose Cinnamon, 32-bit and one of the U.S. mirrors).

What CD burning software are you using? I've had problems with CDBurnerXP if there were errors during verification of the burn. I now use the freeware version of Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.

8. Rocktot

Yea, all those mirrors, for USA, some have different downloads. Most of what I get are in zip form, and that does not seem to work. I have one DVD left. LoL,
    I did get one ISO file, but it won't transfer to my mem stick?

I may try out that software with it.

Otherwise, an ebay disc is on the way.:cool

I'm thinking of a used Leveno Win 7 computer soon anyway. about $150.00 or maybe another Dell, there are deals on ebay if you watch.

Thanks

9. mdonah

I got my Dell Precision M70 used from ebay myself for $149 and the seller refunded $15 because the USB ports didn't work. So, I picked up a refurbed system board for under $30 from ebay and swapped it in. Now, I'm good to go.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you want a bootable ISO, you do not transfer it to a USB stick.
    You use a tool to first make the stick bootable, then the ISO "writes" on the stick just like an ISO is burned to a CD or DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds