Can't check Yahoo & Hotmail Emails

Discussion in 'Software' started by ShugoTenshi, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Hello.

I am on a computer that I'm borrowing until I get my own computer upgraded & fixed.

This Computer:
    OS Windows XP Home
    Using IE for the browser

For some reason... I can log into my email accounts (Yahoo & Hotmail), but that's as far as I can go. I can't check my email or do anything. Once I try to check my email and click "Inbox", etc. I get the "Cannot find server" and "This page cannot be displayed" thing.

I can access any other site just fine. I checked my Internet Options and everything looks fine to me, security, cookies. I even added the sites to grant them access. Still get the same thing though.

*sigh*

2. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ive had friends stay and they had the same problem. i have xphome as well, and they had hotmail. i had to open the guest account on windows login before they could access their mail, so try that first and see what happens. aloha

3. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Ok.
    I'll try out creating that Guest account and tell you if it worked or not. :cool:

4. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

*sigh* Still doesn't work.

Help? Anyone... :eek:

5. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

time for a real geek to help you im afraid. aloha. hope you get it sorted out.

6. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Download Firefox, see if you can access through the Firefox browser.

7. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Yeah. I had already done that too. Downloaded the Firefox browser and tried. *sigh* But still won't let me into my Yahoo & Hotmail emails.

Also.
    On some sites I can't register onto like...a free image hoster or something like that.

I can log into my Excite account and read the emails. And today, I just noticed that I can't send out an email from Excite now too. Damn...

This is driving me crazy.

Thank you for your replies and some advice.

8. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Ok...
    I am having problems now "submitting" on forums. Like sometimes it'll let me post something longer, sometimes it won't and I have to do short messages. And other times it may not even let me post.

So I am about to post something, piece by piece so that I can tell you my current situation.

9. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Check this out...

So I was getting frustrated with this computer I was borrow. And I remembered that I can take my aunt's computer since she doesn't use it and all and I know for sure I've accessed all my emails through that computer as well.

So I have my aunt's computer now. I checked my Yahoo mail at her place, then went home with the computer and checked my Yahoo Mail at home too.

Then, I believe when I went to a website (http://www.gamespyid.com) I tried to log in, but the page was taking long... So then I'm like "oh no....don't tell me.." So I just closed that window and tried to get back into Yahoo Mail to see if I still could. And NOPE! Now I'm in the same situation as in the other computer.

10. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

I don't wanna say that it was that site or not. So I uninstalled the recent things I installed in those 2 hours I brought the computer home.

I uninstalled:
    the Yahoo Companion Bar (that wanted to update)
    Firefox
    QuickCam VC Driver

And I still can't check my Yahoo Mail. OMG. What the heck is going on?!

Also the only sites I went to was a normal forum that I frequent, gamespyid.com, mozilla.org (to get firefox), yahoo, excite, and that's about it.

I never updated to the SP2 on either computers, I did 4 different spy ware scans, antivirus scan, also tried doing some things a friend suggested. Still...nothing.

ARGH....

11. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

Also...someone said that it may be my ISP or something.

But both at my aunt's place and my own use DSL through Bellsouth.

This current computer was working completely fine at her place and mine. And I'm really thinking now that it was from a site. But I listed the sites that I've been to and http://www.gamespyid.com was the only one that was different. And when it was loading slow as I was trying to log in there, I hurried to check if I chould still check Yahoo Mail. And nope...I lost access to check folders and write emails from there.

12. 44039

44039 Private First Class

It's possible you may have some spyware or hijack. Also, if your going through a router, try bypassing it, and see if it works.

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

13. ShugoTenshi

ShugoTenshi Private E-2

LMAO!!!

OMG....
    Ok...so after I tried all sorts of things, spy ware programs, antivirus scans, flushed the DNS cache, reloaded some dll, reset all ip in network shell.

So might as well try doing a direct connect from the modem instead of going through the router.

:D It works!!! I can check the emails!
    I don't get it though... Did the router change its settings somehow that prevented me from being able to do certain things on websites? Like web-based emails, etc?

It was working fine before with the router and all. Heh... How can I use the router normally again? Like it was before? Should I reinstall any router software or something?

Also. I want to thank everyone that has helped me on this. :cool:
    This forum is most definitely awesome for all sorts of reasons. Lots of great info from threads, people that take the time to give advice. Awesome :cool:

14. 44039

44039 Private First Class

Try shutting down the IPSEC service (Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services). Another thing you may want to look at it updating the firmware on your router.

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds