cant connect laptop to home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan_UK, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

hey
    I have recently bought a Belkin Wireless N Router in which to make a 'home network'. I now have the online on my PS3 working but I have a problem with the laptop. The laptop doesnt have a built in wireless reciever, so we use the Belkin N USB adapter. In the tray on the laptop it says Wireless Internet Connection can not be found, I right click on it for it to say Look for wireless networks or something of that sort. It then searches for networks but cant find any. I then update the driver which in then finds my network. I click on my network it has found and click on connect to network. After a while it says 'error wireless network out of range,' even when the stick is NEXT to the router. If you refresh the list of networks its still there so it isnt 'out of range'. The router is so powerful I have to password protect it because the neighbours could use my network :-D

Please help.

Dan

2. Dan_UK

Dan_UK Private E-2

any ideas?

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I would try taking off the security; trying to connect the laptop and if successful, re-enabling security.
    Other ideas would be to make sure you are using only 1 connection application.
    If you installed a Belkin wireless application, disable the Windows wireless service. (START > RUN > services.msc - WZC service in XP - WLAN AutoConfig in Vista)

4. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

You have probably already tried this but - reboot the router.
    Try to connect using the laptop.

NO Luck?

We will proceed as though all of your networking equipment is in working order. You said your Wireless router is working for your game console so we know that is part of this equation is a given. What we don't know is whether or not your USB wireless adapter is worth it's weight....

Ok, the Belkin USB drivers (and software) should be installed before you plug it into your computer. If you have the disk that came with the device, install it without the adapter being connected to the machine.

Still no luck?

You may have to take the router out of mixed mode. The PS3 may not be able to use wireless "N" (I am pretty sure that the game consoles use "G").

Check out Belkin's site for instructions on how to configure the router to use the "G" standard wireless settings.

Feeling brave? (These are quick instructions to give a general overview of how to go about modifying the router's configuration. Use the Belkin instructions for detailed step by step. I add this only so you will read how quickly and easily this can be accomplished and to give you a little confidence in your network troubleshooting.)

Introduce your laptop to your router with a cable. Plug your laptop directly into the router with a CAT 5/6 cable. Can you get connected? Using your laptop, you should now be able to modify the configuration on the router.

Start / RUN / Command <Enter>
    At the command prompt, type "ipconfig" (without the quotes)
    Find the "default gateway" address and type this in your browser address bar.
    When you get a login prompt, enter the user name a password.
    Shazam - you are a network guru!

Get this far you are golden.

Want to be platinum?

(Don't forget to use the SAVE button!)
    Remove your cable and see if your laptop can detect the wireless network.

You gotta be kidding....Still not working?

OK. This may mean you will lose your connection on the PS3. But who cares, right? You set it up once, you can do it again!

Turn off your PS3.
    Reset the router back to the factory defaults.
    Reboot your PC and try to connect to the wireless network.

If it's not working now, you may have a problem with the Wireless USB adapter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds