Can't connect to internet after Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattbiel, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mattbiel

mattbiel Private E-2

I have a Windows xp desktop and I recently did a batch of Windows Updates and shortly thereafter I could not connect it to the internet or my local network. I had been using a wireless USB device to connect to my router, so I tried a new wireless USB device and I also tried connecting it with a cable to my ethernet adapter. It just says "trying to connect" and never gives me an IP address. I have tried the Windows Repair tool by Tweaking.com, and I have tried the "winsockxpfix" tool but still nothing. I have also tried reverting to a system restore point, and although the system restore says it completed, I still cannot get online.

Can you guide me to my next step?

2. mattbiel

mattbiel Private E-2

I just tried another system restore and this time it worked! I guess now I can go back and do the updates one by one to find out which is the culprit. I'll try to figure out how to delete this thread...

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Check the hardware section of Windows updates.

It was probably something from there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds