Can't connect to WWW but AIM and Limewire work fine, Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cmdr Chill, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

One computer on my LAN will not connect to the internet but AIM and Limewire work fine on it. My main computer works fine. The computer in my daughters room just will not connect. She can use AIM and Limewire but IE and Firefox both are unable to connect. All computers worked fine before but I just moved and set up the network in the new house. Before I setup the router her computer could connect straight from the modem. I have power cycled all links in the chain and removed the modem battery to do so but no joy. Any thoughts?

2. john7az

john7az Private E-2

My friend has same problem. Cannot get online but can instant message. She did some updates and was having those problems afterward. I recomended a system restore to earlier point but that did not work. She lives in another state so I cannot physically be there to correct her problem and she doesn't understand what I'm telling her to check. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks.

3. Cmdr Chill

What is really strange is Network Magic says the machine is connected and when I unplug the cat5 I get a message saying a network cable is unplugged. I have tried using Windows Network Diagnostics with no luck. I cleared all caches as well.

4. john7az

john7az Private E-2

We did the same thing except we're using wireless. Let me know if you have any luck. Thanks!

5. Cmdr Chill

Still unresolved

6. Cmdr Chill

Problem has been fixed but not repaired. I did a reformat and reinstalled all apps. I still don't know what caused the prob but now I know how to fix it.

7. john7az

john7az Private E-2

That is the only thing I can do also. Worked fine after reinstall. Hey if you ever do find out what might have caused it, I'd be glad to hear it.. I will likewise do the same for you

8. Cmdr Chill

Thank you for your input. I'll be sure to share any new info w/you.

9. Bioware

Bioware Private E-2

Such problem can be related to wrong or missing DNS servers in the TCP\IP config of the computer, as far as i know.

Anyways, i think the best option in such case is to call your ISP for support.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds