Can't Defrag in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, Apr 12, 2003.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I cannot get my Windows 2000 defragmenter to work. I click on defrag to start, and it doesn't do anything. It doesn't freeze up, it simply doesn't do anything at all.

Here's the history of my problem. I had downloaded Diskeeper Lite, and suddenly it would not defrag. It also did not do anything when I clicked on defrag. So i went to my Windows 2000 defragmenter, and it wouldn't even open. So I un-installed Diskeeper Lite, and then Windows 2000 defrag would open, but it would not defrag, as stated above, which brings us to the current state of affairs.

I am thinking that possibly something may have been deleted from the Registry (I use several Reg Cleaners) but when I scanned them to see what I might need to restore, nothing there would have anything to do with the defrager, as far as I could tell.

So, what do I do now?

Thanks,

Eric

I'm running
    Windows 2000
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33
    512 RAM
    40 gig hard drive

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

The version of defrag that comes with Windows 2000 is essentially version 5 of Disk Keeper. It's possible that some files were overwritten during the install of lite. Run the SFC to try to repair the files.

3. eclayton

Okay, I rebooted, just to be sure, but no go. Shut down everything, etc, still no go.

So, what is the SFC? Can you walk me through this? Never done this before.....:( :)

Thanks guys,

Eric

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

SFC = System File Checker. It checks all protected Windows system files, and will re-install the originals if any have been replaced by something else. You start it from a command prompt, like an old-style DOS window.

Type "System File Checker" into Windows Help search field, and you'll find descriptions of all the options, but the basic command to run it at once is: sfc /scannow
    Note the space between the c and the /.

Have your Windows installation disk handy when you start it.

Note: It may also replace newer drivers for some of your hardware with Windows originals. Last time I ran it, it knocked out my current Nvidia vid card driver, which I had to re-install again.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  5. eclayton

I ran SFC, and it simply ended without telling me any results, so I'm assuming all the files are okay.

So, I re-booted, and the defrag still won't work.......

What's next? :)

Eric

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

7. eclayton

Thanks, Kodo, and everyone. I sure appreciate it.

One more thing: I do use a variety of Reg Cleaners.....is it possible that I deleted something that I shouldn't have? I didn't find anything that looked like it would affect defrag, but it brought up the question in my mind: is it a good idea to use many different Reg Cleaners?

Thanks again! See yas in the lounge!!:)

8. G.T.

Registry cleaners CAN delete entries that you actually need, although generally that happens with third-party apps, not root Windows applications that every cleaner should be expecting to be there.

I'm not a fanatic about registry cleaning. Dead links are nice to remove, but generally don't cause problems by being there. Left-over entries that try to run apps that are no longer there, or conflict with something, are more of a problem, and SHOULD be removed, and I used to do that manually, but I'm not impressed by the "most aggressive" cleaners that delete the most entries, as those are the ones most likely to delete something you actually need. With average registries containing several hundred thousands of lines, deleting 50, or even 100 harmless links doesn't do much to reduce the bloat. I use Norton System Works' Windoctor to clean up dead links, mainly because it's there already. It is NOT the most aggressive, which suits me just fine. It's never screwed up anything for me.

IMHO, running a whole bunch of different cleaners trying to ferret out that last useless entry is a waste of your time.

9. eclayton

Yeah, but it's kinda like picking your nose........It's so VERY satisfying! :D :D

10. G.T.

LOL. Have you ever picked your nose until it bled? :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds