Can't delete a file with foreign language title

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnloc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. johnloc

johnloc Private E-2

I downloaded a .pdf file that had foreign language characters in the file name. Now i can't delete the file. This happened to me once in Windows XP and I right clicked on the file, went to properties, deleted the foreign characters there, clicked save and then was able to delete it. However, under Windows 7 when I right click and go to properties I get the message "Windows cannot find "c:\downloads\?????????.pdf". make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." The ?????????? represent the foreign characters.

How can I delete this file?

Thanks

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure a file unlocker would work if Windows does not detect the file.

You can try deleting though a Cmd box. Move all pdf files from your C:\ downloads folder except the one with the question marks. Then click the windows globe and in the search box

type cmd. Right click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.

At the command prompt type the following and press enter after each command.

cd c:\downloads (space between cd and c:\downloads)

You should now see C:\downloads as the prompt.

Type

dir *.pdf (space between dir and *.pdf)

You should only see one pdf file with the question marks. If you see something else stop and post what it is.

If you only see the one pdf file with the question marks then type the following

del *.pdf (space between del and *.pdf)

Does this delete the file?

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

The file was probably created on another operating system, as Windows will not allow usage of certain characters in file names. I usually boot into a Linux operating system to solve this problem, as most of our operating systems dual boot. Then mount the NTFS file system in question to access the file, and rename or delete it. On another persons PC use of a Live CD/DVD is the way to go. This entails accessing the BIOS or taping a function (F) key to boot from a CD/DVD, if the system is not already configured to do so. Use of another Operating System and dual booting is a trial and error pain in the beginning, but there is help available and it can be rewarding. Access to a spare PC you can tinker with makes the errors more tolerable. I have a much greater understanding of Windows now that I have some knowledge of Linux. When I get big I might even try me a Mac...:-D

4. johnloc

johnloc Private E-2

Thanks tgell,

3 quick things:

1. Sorry took so long to reply. After reading guidelines regarding posting/bumping threads I figured that since my problem wasn't critical (spyware/malware/virus) related it would be a few days before you got to it so I didn't check back.

2. Your solution worked. Thanks again.

3. Is there some sort of language pack I can install to be able to read/rename a similar file? As mentioned in my initial post, in Windows XP I could right click and go to properties and rename a file there to be able to read or delete it.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds