Can't delete corrupt and unreadable file

Discussion in 'Software' started by tcwade, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcwade

tcwade Private E-2

I have a "corrupt and unreadable" file that I cannot get off my computer.

I have tried KillBox, MoveOnBoot, Unlocker and GiPo File Utiliites, and Safe Mode.

When I use CHCKDSK, it says that there is not enough disk space to restore files, but I have 25GB of free space.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried the Error checking tool?

Double click My Computer then right click the drive you want to check. Then Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now
    Under Check disk options pick Scan for and attempt recovery....
    Then click Start.

3. tcwade

tcwade Private E-2

Thank you. But, Error Checking Tool ran, but did not enable me to either get rid of the file or use CHKDSK.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Forcedel http://www.technipages.com/download-forcedel.html

like ForceDel C:\Program File\A directory\immovable file.ext

5. tcwade

tcwade Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. I got the forcedel program and will follow your directions.

6. rickrackrun

rickrackrun Private E-2

I had an issue where a ZoneAlarm file \Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt was flagged as corrupt. Windows prompted to run chkdsk to fix the problem, but it did nothing.

I will summarize the effort to delete this file, which I could do, eventually, but I am not sure which was the primary fix. I think the reason chkdsk fails is that the file is flagged as locked as well as being corrupted, and we need to clear the lock to have chkdsk work. You can see in the following summary that this is a reasonable conclusion, but not necessarily the right one.

First I ran chkdsk on restart, as well as in repair, no luck. I also tried every freeware recovery program known to man, but since the file was not deleted they could not find it. So I backed up the disk using DiskImage XML, reformatted the drive and restored it. No luck - the file was still corrupt, but this showed it was not a hardware issue. I deleted ZoneAlarm, but fwpktlog.txt was left behind. I tried to remove it using Start Unlocker, and ended up flagging it to be removed on restart. I also flagged the system to run chkdsk on restart. Then I restarted, and this time chkdsk cleaned it up. I manually removed the file after Windows came up.

I am not sure which step was the critical one, but I am sure the problem was not in hardware, and something changed in this process to allow the file to be repaired by chkdsk. I left out a pile of things I tried earlier, like Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware, and a pile of other things to get rid of the stupid file. My guess is that removing ZoneAlarm using Revo Uninstaller unlocked the file, then chkdsk could fix it, but I don't know, exactly.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

The thing with ZoneAlarm removal is that you should always use the /clean option to have everything removed. This is unfortunately not well documented.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

@rickrackrun - Hi. Not a good idea to start a new prob in an old thread. Always start your own in a new thread. ;)

9. Rashid Malik

Rashid Malik Private E-2

I have some currupt & unreadable files in Cookies folder, which have a big capacity, and did not deleted. How can I delete that files.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Suggest me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

The same applies to you, Rashid Malik - please start a new thread stating your problem, and someone will try to help you shortly.

11. lilrockstar0708

lilrockstar0708 Private E-2

Im new to this, so how do I start my own thread?

12. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, lilrockstar0708.

Follow the instructions here, and welcome to MG! :major

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds