Can't disable touchpad, not listed under mouse.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DethOfDragnz, Aug 5, 2013.

1. DethOfDragnz

DethOfDragnz Private E-2

Hello I have a Dell Laptop, with a Intel Pentium processor, and Windows Xp. For some strange reason sometimes when I start my computer or when I am surfing the net the pointer icon will just start scrolling on it's own, and move all the way to one side of the screen. I have to reboot the computer to get it to stop. I always use a mouse. I think this has to do with the touchpad. I think it might be busted so I want to disable it. Unfortunetly all the places I have looked online says to go into control panel to mouse and disable it but touchpad is not under mouse in my control panel. I tried looking at everything keyboard, sound and audio devices, etc, I went to the device manager and I could not find anything that said touchpad under any category. I know the touchpad is still on because i can move the cursor around by touching it even with the mouse plugged in. I also tried the Function F3 trick but it did nothing.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Please post exact model of the Dell laptop you own.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

My Lenovo had the same problem. I looked up the model of touchpad (Synaptic) and installed their driver. There was an option on the Synaptic control to disable the touchpad when a mouse is attached.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since it's a Dell laptop, go to the Dell Support site drivers and downloads page, put in your Service Tag number (on a sticker on the laptop) or let the site determine your Service Tag number and go to the drivers and downloads tab.

Go to Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices and download and install the driver listed there. From Control Panel, you should then be able to disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected.

On my Precision M70, it's the Alps driver.

5. DethOfDragnz

DethOfDragnz Private E-2

I installed the new drivers and disabled the touchpad. It's all good now thank you everyone for your help, I do appreciate it. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds