Can't enable windows firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by planetstud, Mar 12, 2006.

1. planetstud

planetstud Private E-2

Hi guys,

Cant seem to enable it, when i try in control panel it says "due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display firewall settings"
    Anyone know why its doing this? My comp is so open to attacks it has no protection at all!! Had norton but took it off when I had a symantec email problem cos i didnt know what to do.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Not sure why Windows would do this but you could try Zone Alarm, free and get's great reviews from many sites and it doesn't seem to have conflict issues with other apps.

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

4. planetstud

planetstud Private E-2

cheers guys,
    my dads on at me to sort the comp out...he says he went on Barclays to do some internet banking and it redirected him to a page hed never seen before, and asked for info they never ask him for...can trojans or malware do this kind of thing? or is he just computer illiterate? Ive finished all those steps for removing malware, picked up a few stuff..but cud be infected again now with having no firewall?

5. jeffnvegas

jeffnvegas Private E-2

i also removed norton. uploaded msn/McAfee cause it comes with the premium package, but still having issues. think i'm relatively unprotected at the moment. tried downloading the dial a fix thing and if it did anything i didn't see it. no install instructions popped up or anything just timed out in the download manager and that was it.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Don't run your machine with no firewall.

Despite the posts in this thread, ignoring a broken Windows feature is not a fix.

Is this SP2?

Go to a cmd.exe prompt, and type:

Netsh

press enter

then type winsock reset
    hit enter

follow then instructions.

Also look through this:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

7. planetstud

planetstud Private E-2

wow alot of that jargon went over my head, SP2??
    ive got this ZoneAlarm on now..its already blocked 1781 access attemps...is that for real?

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Look into what Adrynalyne has said, even if you now have Zone Alarm up and running, there may still be some issues to deal with to maintain stability. I can't ascertain Zone Alarms' results but many say it is better than the XP Firewall, langa.com, grc.com, etc.

What happened to your dad is possible and does happen. You shouldn't surf without your firewall unless it is to fix it.

9. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Omigod!!
    Tell your father that banks NEVER EVER ask for private info after you do a legit logon with password at the banks site. If this was in response to an email request allegedly from the bank with a hyperlink to the bank - do not give out any info. Ring the bank. Hope your Dad did not get fooled!
    Cheers
    Robert

10. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Dial-a-fix doesn't install, you just unzip it and run it.To run Dial-a-fix, double-click on the downloaded file, and click "Extract". When it's done, you should see a folder called dial-a-fix-full, double-click on that to open it, then on the first file inside, Dial-a-fix.exe. This will bring up the main Dial-a-fix window, at the bottom are some buttons, click "check all" (the double checkmark icon) and "Go".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds