Cant find Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by misto114@excite.com, Jan 8, 2009.

1. misto114@excite.com

misto114@excite.com Private E-2

Please help,

My HP computer had some viruses on it and I ran through several steps to eliminate hopefully all. I tried to make a set of recovery discs from the partioned recovery disk D:. The coputer says the recovery partition could not be found. I can see all the data on the drive and it seems all the info is there but the recovery software can't see it. I would like to make a set of disks to enable a restore back to original specs in case of a major crash. I had set some restore points but those dates have all been eliminated (They seem to be on the Partition disk D:Sytem Volume Information\_restore\RP26...). The coputer can't see the data. What good is it to set a restore point if the virus can eliminate that info?
    I would appreciate any help!

Thanks, Tom M.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

model of HP?
    What did you do to make a set of recovery disks from the partition created by HP?

3. misto114@excite.com

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center a1600n Desktop.
    I never made a set of recovery discs. I didn't think I needed the disks because I thought I could always restore the computer back to factory settings using recovery from the D: partion drive (thats when I discovered I need these disks for an emergency)! I have eliminated the viruses and my computer is running fine now, but I would like a set of recovery discs for any future problems.
    Hp has a program called "Hp PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator" located in the PC Help and tools menu. When I try to run this program it responds, "cannot create discs, The recovery partition could not be found." For some reason that program can't see the drive or data but it is all there when I look. I can see all the files and there is 8.23 GB of data on that D: partition.

Windows recovery program will restore to an early date such as 2 or 3 days ago but it can't get me back to original factory downloads.

It would be nice to get to the partitoned data to have a benchmark in case I have any further problems.

Thanks for your help,
    Tom M.

4. misto114@excite.com

I'm Sorry, I did a post instead of responding to your message via this quick reply.

This is my response to your question;

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center a1600n Desktop.
    I never made a set of recovery discs. I didn't think I needed the disks because I thought I could always restore the computer back to factory settings using recovery from the D: partion drive (thats when I discovered I need these disks for an emergency)! I have eliminated the viruses and my computer is running fine now, but I would like a set of recovery discs for any future problems.
    Hp has a program called "Hp PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator" located in the PC Help and tools menu. When I try to run this program it responds, "cannot create discs, The recovery partition could not be found." For some reason that program can't see the drive or data but it is all there when I look. I can see all the files and there is 8.23 GB of data on that D: partition.

Windows recovery program will restore to an early date such as 2 or 3 days ago but it can't get me back to original factory downloads.

It would be nice to get to the partitoned data to have a benchmark in case I have any further problems.

Thanks for your help,
    Tom M.

5. plodr

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How old is the laptop? If it is under warranty call HP and tell them you have been unable to create recovery disks. They may send them for free.

7. misto114@excite.com

My computer is 2 years old and the warranty is only good for one year. I think the site you gave me to order a recovery set will work. I find it odd that all my data is there but I cannot do anything with it.

When I bought the computer it came preloaded with Windows XP, and they sent me the Windows Vista upgrade disk for free. I have not upgraded to Vista because I was not sure how good it was, and It is also not compatible with my Microsoft Office 2003.

Do you think if I upgraded to Vista It would then allow me to use the Recovery Partition?

8. plodr

I wouldn't count on it.

It is safer to pull off all your data then use the CD you get to restore it back to the way it was 2 years ago. Install your applications and then move your data back.

9. misto114@excite.com

I contacted Hp via the site you refered to and ordered a set of Recovery Disks for my system. The cost was only $16.08, for the shipping and handling. It is a very cheap insurance policy that will restore my system to original settings if needed.

Thanks for your help!
    Tom M.

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is a very reasonable insurance policy. Worth $16.00 to have them and be done with it. I'm sure one day you will be glad you have them.

I've always found Hp/Compaq a good company to deal with in terms of Warranty and parts department. They seem efficient and helpful.

11. plodr

When given the chance, I've bought CDs from HP that I needed. I don't want an added headache.

12. marley

marley Private E-2

I would suggest you to use a recovery tool, you need to ensure the absolute recovery of data by choosing the most powerful and effective partition recovery tool which can recover you data easily. I had used a recovery tool called stellar phoenix partition recovery software which is extremely interactive having capability of recovering all kind of files. You can download the free version of this software and can see the preview of the recovered files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds