Can't get 2nd Dimm 512mb memory to work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trebor, Feb 18, 2005.

1. trebor

trebor Private E-2

I'm just learning about these things so if someone can help it would really be appreciated. I can't seem to find anyone on the internet that has this problem so it must be something stupid.

System is Acer Aspire Desktop T310 Motherboard Acer E61ML
    CPU Intel pentium 4E. 3000 MHz (15X200)
    Motherboard Abit SG-72/ECS 661FX-M (Deluxe)
    Chipset SIS 661 FX
    Memory DIMM, SDRAM Maximum 1024MB 2 Slots
    System memory 480MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Memory modules (Ao) Not installed (A1) Dimm sdram 512MB
    Hard disks 2 X Maxtor 6Y160MO SCSI 160GB, 7200 rpm, Serial-ATA/150
    BIOS Pheonix - Awardbios v6. 00PG
    Operating system Windows XP Pro service pack 2

I think that's about it, anyway when I try to put another bit of memory (512MB) in the second slot even of the same brand an intermitent high pitched noise comes out and nothing seems to work. I have two modules of Nanya and one of Samsung. Each one of them works fine individually in slot A1 and show identical details but won't work together when you place another in slot A0. Same thing happens if you put them into slot AO individually. Nobody around here seems to have any ideas and the Acer website seems pretty useless. Robert :rolleyes:

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

which motherboard are you using? the abit or the ECS? if you are unsure you can use Everest in the dl section to find out

3. trebor

trebor Private E-2

Pyrate, the details of the motherboard are (don't know that much about them)
    Motherboard Name from Everest: Abit SG-72 / ECS 661FX-M
    Motherboard ID 01/20/2004-SIS-661-6A714E1AC-00

I assume from ECS in the middle of the motherboard name that it is the ECS that you mentioned, Robert.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

that's weird that everest should give you two manufacturers for you motherboard ... but it does say ECS on the moterboard itself?

I can't find the ECS beep codes but it sounds as if slot A0 is broken ... an RMA or return might be in order if it is new .. the motehrboard that is

5. trebor

trebor Private E-2

Pyrate. I've stared at the motherboard until I've gone cross eyed, can't see anything that says ECS on it but then I don't know where it should be and unfortunately I don't have any documents actually showing those specifications. The system isn't new and is out of any warranty period. Is there some sought of check that can be done to find out if the problem is the slot itself? Incidentally, thankyou for your help. Robert. (ps What does RMA stand for?)

6. trebor

trebor Private E-2

I've now got a picture of an ECS board and mine must be Pyrate, it's exactly the same even down to the various colours used. Did they do some boards for or in conjunction with Abit? Maybe an abit SG-72 is a EMS 661FX-M. Robert. :rolleyes:

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=163
    http://www.ecsusa.com/products/661fx-m.html

I guess you took a look at those links? my only theory is that they have the same exact specs so everest can't tell them apart

I highly doubt Abit has anything to do with ECS as they are competitors ... and ECS' board might be pretty good if that was the case ... but from what I've read and heard that they make cheap mobos ...

usually a long beep like that is indicating bad RAM or a faulty/overheating CPU .. although it may be different with your board ... your problem fits the former ... as you're having problems with that RAM slot ... only solution would be to buy a new board or just use one slot ... I might recommend Abit or Asus but others have their own opinions so you might want to do a search

8. trebor

trebor Private E-2

thanks for your help anyway Pyrate, looks like a faulty slot, I've left a message about it on ECS's forum and sent an email to the mob who supplied the board. Probably won't get a reply until Monday at least. If anything interesting turns up I let you know. Robert.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds