cant get connected to web, but can see other stations in network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LocalLoot, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LocalLoot

LocalLoot Private E-2

I have a ubee 3.0 modem thru Charter wired to a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router which is hard wired to a 3 laptops/desktops throughout the house. I do not use the wioreless function since house is hard wired. This model of router has a USB pot for adding a hard drive that is accessed on network There is also a 8port switch downstream on one of the 3 ports coming out of the NEtgear router.

I recently replaced all my cat 5e cable with cat6. In doing so i tidied up all my wires and got all the power cords and adaptors nicely strapped and velcroed to the side of my desk with plenty of ventilation. However...

Issue: I cannot get connected to the web. no matter what i try.

I can get confirmation that the network card is working with 1Gb/m of signal, yet my EI7/Chrome/Safari all time out.

Without any success, I have already done/tried the following:
    Turned off Avast (AV), Comodo Firewall, & Malwarebytes.
    Replacing all the patch cords.
    Replaced the router with new netgear of same model. Replaced surge protectors.
    Added ferrite clamps to each adaptor. moved the power cords awayd from the cat6 cables as much as possible.
    Ran windows diagnostic thru device manager/network adaptor/properties/linkSpeed/Diagnostics. Said that everything passed there was nothing wrong with Link, Cable or Hardware. Gave this response for "Connection":
    Test results:

Connection test passed

Test details

This adapter is configured to obtain an
    IP address automatically. The adapter
    obtained an IP address from a DHCP server.
    Ping Gateway 75.137.96.1 : Passed
    Ping DNS 24.178.162.3 : Passed
    Ping DNS 97.81.22.195 : Passed
    Ping DNS 24.159.64.23 : Passed
    No WINS server is available for this
    connection
    Ping Network 75.137.111.255 : Failed

Tried the follolwing commands:
    run/ipconfig/renew
    run/ipconfig/flushDNS
    run/ipconfig/release

After each option above, did full reset of modem - ie powered off for 5-10 minutes with cable unscrewed from modem then powered on and waited 3-4mins then turned on the router and cpu.

Contaced Charter CS. The checked the line and modem remotly and said it was fine. After multiple calls to them, they sent a tecj out to check the modem. After hooking to diagnostic, said it was not the modem or signal strength issue - all was good on chrter's end.

Did multiple combinations of the above at least 20-30 times. Tried same on several different cpu in network. Same result.

** THE only way i get connection is if i bypass the router and connect directly to the modem. Been hacking away at this for 7 days. Need help or straight jacket.

Lots of thanks coming to anyone iwth a with resolution.

BTW - Running XP pro on all machines with gigbit internal network card.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I am not familiar with your ISP but it sounds to me like your router is not transmitting the login info to your modem or is otherwise not configured properly for the network.

If you move the switch to the location of the netgear and plug in to the switch, do you have connection? If you do, I would suspect the netgear's configuration.

Logically this should not happen from just replacing cables. Could the reset button have been pressed on the netgear? Anything else happen while you did this upgrade?

3. LocalLoot

LocalLoot Private E-2

I think the router is not recieving the correct info from the modem. I have doubts that the router is to blame simply because the Netgear router has been replaced with brand new of same medel twice to be sure the unit was not defective. Also, it is rated high on most sites with hundreds of sales (Amazon, NewEgg, etc) so i trust it is not a lemon model. The GUI for initial set-up of the router consistantly indicates that the modem requires a static IP. However, it is known that this the ISP does not assign static IPs, and runs only dynamic IPs. I tried by-passing the auto set-up module and enter info into router manually but it would not wortk

Other variable/change to the configuration: Previously, i had successful connection for 6 months with a slightly different configuration. Hd no issues with connection until i got a bad virus. I had the 8 port switch hooked up after the modem and then one of the switch ports went to the router. It all worked fine until i got the virus. I was told this confuration was not very secure or as secure as first going to the router and then to the switch. I am novice at this topic. Please advise.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I have netgear in my house for years and always recommend them.

Do you have the configuration from your previous netgear backed up and saved? You could load it to this netgear and see if that resolves it. I'll almost guarantee that you do not have it configured properly.

I will see if I can find a walk through at your ISP for setting this up.

5. LocalLoot

LocalLoot Private E-2

Well I have it fixed!! :-D

Here's what the issue was and what i did to get internet restotred:

The modem had a MAC address that it would not release so it would not recognize the Netgear router and allow it to configure correctly.

I tricked the modem by leaving the power on and removing the coax ISP input. I then plugged the modem into the freshly reset Netgear router and waited a few minutes. Without the main line from the ISP, the router was confused and realease the old mac and attached to the new Netgear. After this, I ran ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushDNS, and ipconfig /all.

I then attached the ISP coax and surprise, i had internet access.

Not sure if all the ipconfig steps were needed, but that was the sequence that i used.

Have a Big day.:wave

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Great work!

Thank you for coming back and explaining. Good fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds