Can't get control panel icons to open

Discussion in 'Software' started by unwrittenlaw81, Apr 17, 2006.

1. unwrittenlaw81

unwrittenlaw81 Private E-2

Im running windows ME, got pentium 3 and 256MB (SDRAM) and its been working fine but now i go into control panel and try to open add/remove programs and it does nothing. I've also noticed some programs wont run because i get an error that says shortcut cannot opened because failed to run. So if anyone know what i should do let me know.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Sounds like the OS got hosed, either by having to clean up a Malware mess, or something/someone deleted some stuff. The only way of fixing, would be attempt a System Restore by having the system restore back a point, or do a Repair install of the OS.

Personally, I would ditch ME, due to EOL is this summer, and XP is available on the shelfs until late this year.

3. unwrittenlaw81

unwrittenlaw81 Private E-2

If i have the xp disc would i run it like a normal program and it will switch everythig out or do i have to wipe out comp then install?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you end up install XP on the computer, you would have to do a Format/Install, due to the system will work better then doing a upgrade type of install, which would create a new directory for XP, but leave the ME directory in tact.

I would salvage what documents, and other files like music, and videos off of the system, and install XP if that is what you are wanting to do. As for salvaging the ME system, you can do a Repair of ME, but sometimes things get so hosed, a Format/Install is the only way to fix the system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds