Can't get DVD's to play on my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by trunksthebattler2000, Aug 20, 2006.

1. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

I have installed Power DVD on my computer and I'm still not able to play DVD's. Prior to this I tried playing DVD's on Windows Media Player and it said something about Digital Rights and wouldn't play. Then when I went to Microsofts "help" website they told me to buy something I already have.

Thanks

2. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

do you have a dvd player program in your computer?if not need to install one

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

If it's giving you an error about digital rights, then it sounds like what you're trying to play is an illegal copy of a DVD. I don't want to accuse you of anything, but that's how it would seem.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What exactly is the message?

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

PowerDVD is a Player/Decoder Program. Digital Rights, would mean that either there is a problem with DRM, or illegally encoded DVD playing.

6. trunksthebattler2000

Yes Power DVD is a DVD player. Yes it works on other computers. No. I bought the DVD from good old Wally-World. So there must be a problem with the stupid DRMs. How would I fix this?

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

PowerDVD plays all DVD movies. CSS is the only DRM on a DVD movie disc. For a DVD movie to be copied, the CSS encryption must be removed in the process. Therefore a copied DVD movie has no DRM whatsoever and would not be a problem.

Can you open the DVD in Windows Explorer? There should be the Video_ts and Audio_ts folders on the disc.

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Maybe an issue with the region code on the drive?

9. trunksthebattler2000

Everything shows up fine but whenever I try to right click to play an audio or video (when exploring the DVD) file the explorer window freezes up and only that window freezes up. Any other open ones are fine. Some DVDs have players that install from them but the progs crash. I would give you the exact error msg from WMP but it freezes up too which is quite obnoxious. The fact that I even got it ias probably a stroke of luck. Oh and by the way game DVDs work fine and PS2 DVDs read fine as well.

10. erikske

erikske Sergeant

This is starting to point towards a broken decoder. Have you tried reinstalling PowerDVD? Were there errors during the installation?

11. trunksthebattler2000

No I haven't tried reinstalling it and there were no errors upon installation but we did try to install a DVD player by a different company (don't remember the name) and the same results were achieved.

12. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Let's assume your DVD Codec got broken. Go to http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm and download the K-Lite Codec Pack 2.72 Full from a mirror you like. Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions. When it comes to the codec selection screen, make sure you install 'Cyberlink DVD decoder' and 'ac3filter'.
    The installer will also detect broken codecs when it finishes. If it is a codec problem, this should fix it.

13. trunksthebattler2000

Well it will play DVDs now they are just super laggy.

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What else are you doing, when you are watching DVDs?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds