Can't Get HHD To Format For Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by spirittoo, Mar 11, 2014.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:waveI'm using the hhd from my old emachine and I am trying to wipe the hhd of the old os with the old mobo so I can do a fresh install with the new mobo. I used partition wizard and had it wipe the partitions, and format them and delete them too. I had 4 partitions on the drive I wipe 3 and formatted them and left the 4 because it has files I need.

When I try to install Win Pro XP 86Bit it loads up the files, then tries to go into windows, of course it can't so I get an error message that windows has to shut down. I feel it's because windows had not been formatted even though I had the wizard do it. I never get to the part in the set up where windows formats the partitions. I have a WD 1T sata drive. Am I doing something wrong with the partiton wizard? How can I get the drive formatted so I can do the fresh install?
    :confused

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

WinXP is not native SATA. The fact that this is a SATA drive is the reason for the BSOD.

If you can switch from SATA to EIDE in the BIOS, you should be able to install WinXP.

Otherwise, you will need to slipstream the drivers using a program like nLite.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

XP is on that drive now from the old machine ... he must be able to accept sata drives.:yum

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I tried to hide the partition that had the data on it I wanted to save in order to get the windows install to go through, but it didn't work ... for some reason it believe windows is already installed. I don't understand that if the partition wizard formatted and deleted the partition. Why isn't this a simple formatting and fresh install job?:confused

5. the mekanic

Are you using the original eMachine CDs to install the OS?

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave No I am not ... a have a full install cd.

This is the message I get after the files are loaded ... it skips everything else and loads windows ... which is should not do.

I just can't believe I can do a fresh install on this drive.
    :confused

7. the mekanic

The actual, original discs would have the SATA and controller drivers slipstreamed into it. From the looks of your post, the CD you have does not.

You could also try burning, and booting the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) so you can do some drive diagnostics to error on the side of caution.

8. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Oh no it has the sata and controller drivers I see them loading ... so that is not the reason. I'm pretty sure there is no problem with the hhd. It was working fine when I pulled it.:wave

9. the mekanic

As long as you're sure everything is kosher, I would pull the data from the drive (just to be safe) and format the partitions using a Windows based PC via Computer Management > Disk Management. That would rule out any issues with third party software.

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Yeah looks like I will have to hook it up to this machine and try formatting that way ... I shouldn't have to use a bridge pin to indicate master and slave with sata drives right?:confused

11. the mekanic

Usually not. I can't say I've ever seen jumpers on a SATA drive. At all.

Device 0 / SATA 0

Device 1 / SATA 1

12. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I hooked up the hard drive from the new rig to this one ... I got the files copied with the mini tool recovery tool program. I delete the partitions and formatted the drive with windows. Then I put the hard drive back in the new rig and tried to install the os but same message as before. I am now using the bootable mini tool to do a slow wipe of the disk and hope that fix it.:(:confused

13. the mekanic

I really think this is a controller/driver issue. What Service Pack is your install disc? You must be one hell of a speed reader to see what the WinXP installer was extracting after the F6 prompt. What is your make/model of eMachine?

Whatever XP disc you are using may not have exactly what this mobo needs to recognize SATA.

The best way to know it's not software is to get the original disks from eMachines. They'd probably give them away for free.

14. the mekanic

OR, you could burn an .iso copy of Win7 from DigitalRiver. Wouldn't have a license key, BUT it would put to rest the SATA issue.

If Win7 (x86 32-bit) installs without fail, that would speak volumes...

15. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I completely wiped the drive the slowest setting with mini tool and did a surface test which it passed. I even tried to install the 32 bit xp and got the same results. What is going on? This doesn't make any sense.:cry I tried to check it with seatool diagnostic tool but it claim it could not find the drive, but it is listed in the bios. I just don't understand this :confused

16. the mekanic

17. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

The 32bit xp I used I know works because I used it last week to install the OS on a different rig.:confused

18. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I'm going to see if I can install Ubuntu ... if so that will clear the hard drive ... perhaps I can do a dual boot with xp?:confused I'm not familiar with the bios layout with this mobo ... it's has graphics with it ... I'm wondering if I'm missing something there?:wave

19. the mekanic

WELL, thanks for the tidbit. If you vouch this XP disc installed to a SATA drive w/no issue, I'll take your word. That being the case, did you try the W7 install? That would rule out OS error on Window's part.

It wouldn't take long to see if it fails as early as XP. Do you have a copy of UBCD?

20. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I installed Ubuntu, but I'm getting an internal error from 13.10. I'm going to wipe the drive again and try win7 ... will get back to you.:wave

21. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I found out what the problem was:-D ... well there was actually two problems.:-o

The first was the ACHI driver had to be installed before the OS could be.

However when I pressed F6 to load drivers while XP was installing nothing would happen. Then I found out that my mobo will not support XP!!!!:mad

The nerve of gigabyte not giving me a choice of OS. Well I had to install Win7 which I didn't want to do because I need to use a gameport to fly and 7 doesn't have a driver for a standard gameport.:crybaby

Now I have to see what I can do about this new problem ... but as far as the fresh install I will mark this as solved. Thanks for all your help.:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds