CANT GET HP Pavilion dv9000 TO BOOT FROM DVD

Discussion in 'Software' started by pongo, Nov 30, 2011.

1. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

my daughter has vista in her laptop,it has issues and she wants me to install my windows 7 but i cant get the dvd drive to boot even when i put it first in boot sequence??

with the vista in it i get error popup

spoolsv.exe 0xc0000005

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Try re-seating the dvd drive, they are usually just held in by a little screw on the base. Pull it out and boot without so your system does not see it, shut down then re-seat the dvd drive (firmly)then boot again, shut down (restart) selecting dvd as boot device.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

pongo, you can't install your copy of Windows 7 on a 2nd computer. If you do, you need to remove it from your computer otherwise, one computer will be flagged as running a pirated copy and will stop working.
    For your daughter's Vista laptop, you need to purchase a windows 7 upgrade disk with a different serial number.

4. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

Re: CANT GET HP Pavilion dv9500 TO BOOT FROM DVD

thanks but problem is even if it gets flagged it wont boot from cd/dvd...i cant put windows 7 on 2 home pc,s??

5. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

Re: CANT GET HP Pavilion dv9500 TO BOOT FROM DVD

problem is i cant get it to boot from any dvd or cd.

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Unless you bought the Windows Family pack which is good for 3 computers, you would not be able to get Windows 7 to run without it being crippled.

You could try booting from a USB port instead of the DVD. Also, she has an HP so you may have a recovery partition on the computer that can be accessed in order to return the computer to it's factory state.

Edit: Sleeping again. She has an HP :-o

7. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok it still has the vista home pre in it when i go to device manager it shows no devices or drivers???

8. tgell

For the blank Device Manager go into Services and see if the Plug and Play Windows Service is set to Automatic.
    Is your daughter willing to take the computer back to the day it was purchased if possible?

9. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

OK I FOUND SERVICES it,s set to disable yes shes fine with taking it back to day one.... also i cant get it to go on the internet wireless or plugged in?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. tgell

Right Click Computer>Properties>Manage>Click Services and Applications then double click services. Scroll down to Plug and Play.

Edit: Set it to automatic and restart. Do you know see Devices?

Is there any important files she needs to back up before you send it back to factory state? Everything will be gone including any photos and data she saved.

11. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok done.....just so ya know the computer is hp pavilion dv 9500 notebook pc.

ok there all there....

12. tgell

Do any have yellow exclamation marks next to any of them?

Also, I am repeating. Does your daughter need any files or photos that are now on the computer because she will lose those if we can go back to day one.

13. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

no ,no yellow marks and everything on this can be lost thats fine.

14. tgell

Okay,
    Go here and scroll down until you see the following.

Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows Vista

Read through it carefully. Also pay special attention to this.

"If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next"

You do not want to do a Microsoft System Restore.

After the reinstall, update the computer through Microsoft Update.

15. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

will i need the oringal vista disk for this because it is gone,i still have the product number but not the cd anymore.

16. tgell

No, you do not need the disk. Everything will install and it should be pre-activated. Just in case you may want to get the key with a keyfinder for Vista. This key will actually be different than the one on the bottom of the computer because HP images all of the computers with the same key and the activation is taken care of in the BIOS.

http://majorgeeks.com/Magical_Jelly_Bean_Keyfinder_d2612.html

17. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

all i get now is missing operating system..

18. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

all i get now is missing operating system.....so i tryed a copy of xp still same issue cant boot it from dvd....i think this hp is done.

19. tgell

I think you may be right. I remember now that HP had a tremendous amount of problems with this model.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...The-Nvidia-GPU-Class-action-suit/td-p/2345541

Revised link:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/233974-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-recall.html

You can also try to the factory reset again by pressing the F11 key at first boot and going through the factory restore. Also, I am not sure if this would work because I believe this is a hardware issue, you could try installing a linux distro like Ubuntu especially if she will be using the computer for things like web browsing. Or, you could try installing your XP disk via a USB flash key. But you would not be able to activate XP if it was being used on another machine or if it was an OEM disk.

Edit: I am sorry, I was still thinking that your model was the 6000. Both the 6000 and the 9000 had many issues.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

what about xp ghost..i tryed usb but the issue im having besuides missing operating system,is i cant seem to get it to boot from usb or dvd...my 1 copy of xp still has 1 serial left to use.

21. tgell

22. tgell

If you have an XP install disk, you can use Win2Flash to easily create a bootable USB flash key. You just have to make sure your BIOS is set to boot from USB.

http://wintoflash.com/overview/en/

23. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

thanks..so theres no way of getting a operating system back in this ?

24. tgell

I would not say no way. Try the Win2flash and see if it will work for you. If that fails, then I would say you definitely have a hardware issue.

25. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

winflash??

26. tgell

27. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i see it now . im just not sure what to download or how to use it...

28. tgell

29. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i think its working im now formatting the drive.

30. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

is there a way to speed up, when starts copy windows files from USB to HDD.All files take about 1h 30 min.i also noticed there is no c drive in set up there 3 others though....g,f,,and another i forget.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  31. tgell

What computer are you working on? Are you transferring the files from the CD to the USB or are you working on the HP laptop?

32. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

im working on the messed laptop,but im talking to you with my desktop pc.i already transfered files from cd to usb now im copying files from usb to laptop but its slow going.

33. tgell

I am not sure why you are not getting a C: drive. There is no way to speed things up.

You said you are copying files from the USB to the laptop. Do you mean that you booted successfully to the USB and the XP install started? It then asked to partition and format the hard drive, correct? At the beginning of the install, did you delete all of the existing partitions?

I would read the following article on doing a Clean XP install.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm

34. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

yes but i think i was trying to create a new partican on c drive,but i deleted it...yes it booted up with usb...no it seems i only deleted c partican can i create a new one the c partican was to small to put xp on it..

35. tgell

I would start over and delete all partitions as shown in the article I linked to. If you have another flash key, we can delete the partitions with another program then start the install of xp again if you would like.

36. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok

heres the particans i have when i go to windows set up

ok c is back

c:partican1 ntfs 40970mb
    unpartican space 408mn

F:pARTICAN 2 NTFS 73085MB
    UNPARTICAN SPACE 8MB

D: PARTICAN 1 DATA NTFS 114471 MB

7798 MB DISK ON DISK MBR

E:pARTICAN 1 FAT32 7237 MB

37. tgell

I would delete everything except the E: partition which I believe is the recovery partition for Vista. So delete C: D: and F: then create a new ntfs partition in that space which will be C:. If you are sure you do not want the Vista recovery Partition, you could delete E: also.

38. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

IM COPYING XP FILES TO C DRIVE BUT IT REALLY SLOW...IS 40970mb A FULL PARTICAN?

sorry not yelling..

im afarid to delete to many particans because if i got to use dvd drive it does not seem to work.

39. tgell

Do you mean if there is data still on it?. Not sure. Let it do it's thing and see if everything works out. If not you will have to start over and delete all the partitions except E:. Then create a new one in the unpartitioned space. What I am not sure about is you have 7798 MB DISK ON DISK MBR which looks like it is on the D: partition. That is why I wanted to delete everything except E and start fresh.

Deleting those partitions have nothing to do with the DVD drive. That will take care of itself when you install XP or else the DVD drive itself is failing.

40. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok i did as you said and now c partican is 114463 mb is that good.

41. tgell

Are there any other partitions on the drive besides C: now?

42. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

yes e is still there.

43. tgell

44. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok it formatted now copying files...very slowly.

45. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok its installed but in device manager for other devices i have 12 yellow ???????????

46. tgell

47. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

yes there is s/n and p/n number

48. tgell

What is the P/N. If you look at the list, it could be dv9000 CTO or dv9001.

Is your model just dv9000 with no suffix?

49. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

its dv9000 no sufix

the p/n number is GS734VA#ABC

50. tgell

Go here and install the drivers in the following order. You may have to select you OS in the dropdown box. I would avoid downloading the HP software packages(Software - Solutions (‏4)). Those are just a lot of bloat. If you do not download the Solutions package you do not have to download the Software - Internet Access (‏1) package. This is a fix for the Software - Solutions package.

Chipset
    Driver - Storage
    Audio Adapter
    Graphics
    Driver - Network
    Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver
    You will notice a number of HP wireless assistants. Just download the latest version.
    Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices (‏8)
    Driver - Modem (‏1)
    Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs (‏1)

Do these first. I would install each one separately and then reboot. Download them to an admin account and then install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds