Can't get my desktop online while laptop is just fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Batmanuel, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

I just got a new internet connection after going for 2 years or so without one here at home, now that i have it and got the router installed and all my main computer a desktop (HP Pavilion a6655f Desktop PC) has not been able to connect online using my laptop i've had no problems but would really like to get my desktop online as well, i was advised to come here and ask you great folks for assistance. So any suggestions?????? plssssssssssss.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

First thing to do is unplug your router/modem, wait about a minute, the power the modem, and then the router back up.

This is called a "hard reset", and hopefully it will recognize the hardware.

3. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

Did that the laptop was able to get back online after the modem resumed all its proper green lights but still nothing but Unidentified network with only local access on the desktop, just to give you some extra information the desktop is actually plugged into the modem with wires the laptop is connecting via wi fi and the model for the modem is motorola nvg510

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Batmanuel, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

Couple of quick questions:

1. Would you please supply us with your operating system version and Service Pack #?

2. Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager - are there any flags for any of the devices (especially 'Network Adapters')?

3. You stated that "the desktop is actually plugged into the modem with wires" - have you tried a different cable and/or modem port?

5. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Service Pack 2
    No flags on any devices
    And I did try different Cables as well as ports but that didnt help
    (also plugged the cable into my xbox to try that as a tester for the cable and the xbox was able to connect online with no problem, whatever the problem is it seems to be only with my desktop pc)

also just to let anyone reading know I did try the Windows Network Diagnostic it gives me options of 'Automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter Local Area Connection' and 'Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection' I have tried both options multiple times with neither one of them solving the problem

6. Caliban

Good morning...

Couple of more tries:

1. In a Command window, run ipconfig /flushdns, then reboot and see if there is a change in symptoms.

2. If that doesn't work, then take a look at this recent thread and pay particular attention to the HP software removals - you might consider doing the same, seeing if there is a change in your symptoms.

7. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

no change after the flush, donwloaded IObit ran it, it cleaned up tons of stuff for me but did not resolve the internet connection issue :(

8. Caliban

Check Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings - make sure nothing's checked in the Proxy server section.

Also, if this was my computer, I'd head down to Best Buy, Walmart, etc., grab a USB wireless adapter and see if the machine will access wirelessly. They're cheap, easy to install, and even if the networking problem is fixed I guarantee that the adapter will pay for itself one day. Something like this.

Which leads me to my next question: does the machine have a dedicated NIC or is this onboard (motherboard) networking?

9. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

Its just checked to Automatically detect settings nothing checked in the proxy area the adapter is seeming like a good idea since i havent had any luck tryin to fix whatever is messing it up right now, and its onboard :/

10. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Possibly try going into Device Manager and uninstalling NIC and rebooting.
    Also check at manufacturer or motherboard support site for newer driver version.

11. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

Couldn't find any new driver for it downloaded the original and tried installing that to no avail uninstalling and rebooting didn't help either. :(

12. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Major Attitude (co-owner here) recommends this program for finding updated drivers - http://majorgeeks.com/SlimDrivers_d6737.html
    You should download this program and give it a shot at finding an updated driver.
    They can be hard to find sometimes but it can be worth it.

13. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

Since the pc in question can't get online, the software ended prematurely. and wasnt able to help me find any new updates

14. Batmanuel

Batmanuel Private E-2

i have resolved this issue using a norton removal tool, i wanna thank everyone for their help tho. THANKS!

15. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

We appreciate the feedback on this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds