cant get out of safemode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ogizzy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Ogizzy

Ogizzy Private E-2

hey guys i need some help, i have xp pro with service pack 2, i was going to do some spyware scans so i went into msconfig and changed it to boot in safemode. when the computer restarted the desktop was on the screen for a few seconds and then it sayed windows starting and it would reboot again. and it dos this over and over. i tryed F8 at boot up and changing it to normal but it still boots in safemode. i tryed to repair xp with the xp cd but near the end of the process it says cant continue becuase its in safemode so it reboots again. some one please help me. i realy dont want to reinstall xp because i have alot of work on my HD. that needs to be backed up fist and i cant git in to windows to do that. what can i do?

2. Yugku

Yugku Private E-2

I am assuming that once you are in safe mode you have unchecked the box next to /SAFEBOOT and then tried restarting.

3. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

Are you saying that your PC isn't booting fully to Windows, it's just rebooting intself over and over?

Also, when you tapped the F8 button to pull up the boot options screen have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"? I'm suggesting this if I'm understanding correctly that you can't boot to Windows.

If you can get into Windows after that immediately go to msconfig and uncheck /SAFEBOOT like Yugku said. After that you can boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key and choosing it from the boot menu screen.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  4. Ogizzy

Ogizzy Private E-2

thats corret, i cant get in to windows it just boots over and over, but i worked fine before i put it in safe mode. there is now way i can get in to msconfig becuse it dose not boot fully in to windows. is there a way to do this in cmos or somthing?

5. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

In your first post you said that you were able to access the boot options screen by tapping the F8 key. When you see that screen there is an option for Last Known Good Configuration.

Have you tried that? It may not work now because your pc has rebooted so many times, but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work and no one has any better ideas you might want to consider a repair installation. If you've never done a repair installation before you should get good instructions before doing so, because people tend to make a lot of mistakes while doing so. At least with a repair installation you won't lose any of your personal information.

I wish I had better advice for you. Good luck! I hope that the Last Known Good Config works for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds