can't get past flashing Toshiba screen...

Discussion in 'Software' started by RollinWithIt, Apr 25, 2013.

1. RollinWithIt

RollinWithIt Private E-2

Folks are out of town and Mom sent email with "greetings" in the subject line. This is an expected thing when Mom and Dad go on a trip...pics and an update...cool! NOT!!! I guess Mom's email was hacked :(
    When I was done with email and a quick FB check, I did a malware scan, defrag and a Windows security udate followed by a restart. The problem began upon restart.
    I have tried to boot in safe mode AND every other option that is there on that page (command prompt, etc.) without success. I end up at the flashing screen- obviously part of the boot process, but it never gets any further :cry

This is a Toshiba Techra, 32 bit, Windows XP Pro. I tried using a boot disk in the cd-rom, but it is non functional (or whatever has attacked lap top has attacked the cd-rom also).
    I am hoping you can help me...:confused what's the world coming to when you can't open Mom and Dad's emails?!
    Thanks in advance for your time and patience!!!

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Any of these could just as easily be the cause of your problem. It does not have to be a malware issue.

If your CD drive does not work and you cannot boot Windows, you are in trouble. I will be moving this to the Software Forum to work because at this point there is no proof of malware and you need help getting your PC to boot up. Perhaps some one can walk you thru creating a special USB flash drive boot disk. The problem is in what to do with it. Run a malware scan??? Not sure this is your problem. Maybe one of the below could be used in USB form:

http://support.kaspersky.com/8092

BitDefender Rescue USB

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds