can't get past splash screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by pfcgc, Dec 4, 2004.

1. pfcgc

pfcgc Private E-2

My win 98 system boots all the way to the splash screen and stays there.
    safemode doesn't get me any further. we I unplug and restart, I get to the same place and then it goes to scandisk, reports no errors and then locks up on the splashscreen again. I know the problem cannot be determined from this info, but does anyone know of a download diagnostic tool available that would be able to see what is happening at that point of loch up?

2. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

hmm... when it locks up on the splash screen, what happens when you hit the escape key? one of two things will happen, 1) the screen will go black, 2) nothing will happen

if it goes black then the computer isn't really frozen... if nothing happens then it is aactually freezing

3. pfcgc

pfcgc Private E-2

to tell the truth, I think I've experienced both!
    for arguments sake, if it's not really locked up, what is it?

4. darkhorizon

hmm... i dunno, maybe a loop that doesn't use full CPU usage?

did you do anythign weird to it before it started this? like install a program, virus, spyware?

5. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

Recently open the computer case?
    Recently install a new program?
    Recently physically move the computer?
    Tried booting to safe mode or last known good configuration?

6. pfcgc

pfcgc Private E-2

all of the above - it's a pc I'm using in an A+ certification training program.
    It was running more or less fine - the instructor and I were poking around at the end of the last class - looking at the connectors, pulling out the ram shich turned out to be 72 pin or some ancient thing so we couldn't find suitable replacements. We move the systmes at the beginning and end of each class. So I know all of these things are likely suspects, but what can I do about it?

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Sounds like this may be a time to see how good the A+ certification course is, as problems like these are covered in it, I believe. I would look at everything that you and the instructor unplugged as a starting point, since you said that it was working fine until then. :)

8. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

It's hardware. First, power off the computer and open it. Touch a metal part of the case when dealing with internal parts.

First thought is hard drive.
    1) Check the rear pins and make sure the pins are all straight
    2) Place that cable in tight may have been loose
    3) Make sure the Master/Slave/Cable Select jumper configuration is setup correct on the IDE channel

If none work, swap another hard drive if you've got one (check jumpers), to isolate the hard drive as the cause.

It's a start. Lots to do other components to check after this, but try these first.

9. darkhorizon

try farbib's reply first, but what if its just a corrupt operating system? computers sustain a certain level of abuse in some training classes, try to reinstall the operating system if that is an option for you

10. pfcgc

pfcgc Private E-2

Farbib is definitely on to something. Fact is I'm not sure it got past the splash screen when I powered it up at first as I was working on another system. Then the decision was made to remove the hard drive from the other system and set it up as a primary slave on the one that's down now. All the jumper connections are correct as the Bios correctly identifies the drives. The pin question makes me wonder though. The controllers are in a rediculus spot - you can almost not see them (it is an old motherboard, somewhat unique. It is atx with a serial keyboard connector), Anyway - I can see that way down there on one of the connectors that the edge
    (the one that is about an eigth of an inch long) is in fact broken and bent downward. But I think the placement is correct and all of the pins are making contact, especially due to the datea in the bios.
    Darkhorizion is on to something too, regardiong the abuse level.
    Our instructor gets his trainers form the dump!

11. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

12. pfcgc

pfcgc Private E-2

Thanks for the help guys. The post should now be closed
    (I don't know how to do that). I went to class and got the each of the and drives to boot successfully individually, but not as a two hard drive configuration. The problem is between the connectors and the cables. (I only got a full correct startup when I resorted to using only a ribbon cable. I'm sure I can get the both of them to work together but we're down to the last two classes and I need to use the system I have working and get back to my class work. I definitely think the forum helped me to focus in the problem.
    Thanks again,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds