Cant get spii to load from disk or site

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jul 21, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Well, I'm here, so something went right......I deleted my 112 gig partition, formatted it, split off a 16 Gb partition (C drive) for XP, and installed it. I haven't yet reinstalled progs or favs because I can't get SPII to load. I do, however, have working copies of FF, AdAware and AVG running right now, so I'm not too vulnerable-I hope.

I've partitioned my HD into 4 drives:

C: 16 Gb with XP installed
    F: 42 Gb Data drive
    G: 42 Gb program drive
    H: 12 Gb Scratch drive (for stuff I'm testing)

When I inserted the SPII CD, it tried to install itself on my F drive, but the install failed. It then uninstalled itself. I didn't notice until afterward that it wasn't installing on C..I was expecting it to extract to the i386 folder but that's just an uneducated guess.....

On the next attempt, it tried to install itself on the G drive. It doesn't ask me which drive to install itself on, it just picks one and goes for it. Maybe if I try again it'll go to H, and then back to C? But I don't want to keep f-ing this machine up with a dirty install.

I had a similar prob with recovery console a while back, where it kept "stepping up" the drive letter of my CD (Shadow Puter Dude helped me out with that one). I don't know if that's pertinent or not but thought I'd throw it in there anyway.

Is there a way I can just extract the "xpsp2.exe" file to the proper location on my C drive? Or any other ideas?

I tried going to Windows Update, but SPII isn't one of the downloads listed (yes, I installed required plugins for the download and had my machine scanned) FYI I also activated windows, if that matters.....

I'm afraid that SPII is partially installed, and if I need to wipe this drive and start again, I don't want to spend too much time setting it up.

Please help!!!

P.S. This thing is definitely running way better than it was before I started, so I'm getting ahead at least!

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Did the version of xp you loaded already have sp2 on it.

3. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds