Can't get windows to load due to some message at the very first screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cornflakes, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I was just using my computer (windows 7) and i got the message (SMART) that my drive status was bad and i need to backup and replace. I went to get my external hdd but to install it, I need to reboot my computer (because it's not a usb ext hdd but with direct sata cables, so i wanted to shut off the pc first then install the ext drive and turn it back on). Upon startup, now it won't go past the very first screen where it detects all the hardware. At the bottom it will say:

3rd Master hard disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD, Backup and Replace, press "Del" to resume.

There's nothing else I can do so I press "del". It takes me right into bios and as soon as i exit bios, it takes me back to the first screen where it's detecting hardware and then the same message again.

So I can't seem to get windows to load so I can copy and backup data. Does anyone know of a way to bypass this error message and just load into windows?

The other thing I will try is remove the HDD and use it as an external drive and hook it up to another computer to see if I can access the drive and copy the data from there.

2. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

ah i figured it out....just went into bios and disabled SMART ...now i can load into windows

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds