Can't get Word 2000 out of full screen mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by DPHcaninc, Aug 26, 2004.

1. DPHcaninc

DPHcaninc Private E-2

Please help - my Word 2000 is stuck in full screen mode. Alt V doesn't work. I have run Windows 2000 and Office 2000 updates - uninstalled and reinstalled from CD. Still the same problem. I have a document title and a margin ruler and thats it - no menus, no toolbars. Anybody know what to do? Appreciate any help or suggestions. :confused:

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Press Esc, see if that gets you out of it. Steve

3. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Esc worked for me in Word XP, hopefully that's the ticket for Word 2000. Let us know the outcome.

4. DPHcaninc

DPHcaninc Private E-2

Thanks for the replies guys - but ESC didn't work - no effect. Any other suggestions short of reinstalling everything?

5. ajupin

ajupin Private E-2

Dunno if this will help, just found it using google.

http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/words/basics/documentviews.htm

Full Screen: This view removes all the window parts, allowing the maximum use of your screen. This is useful when your monitor is small or your page is wider than usual. It's a shock if you change to Full Screen view accidentally!

Full Screen is also on the View menu, down at the bottom. When Full Screen is on, however, the menu bar is not shown. So how do you turn it off? You return to a windowed view by pressing the ESC key or by clicking the Close Full Screen button on the floating toolbar that shows only when using Full Screen. It's a very small toolbar, so you might not see it right away.

6. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I just re-read your first post...If you have a document title and a margin ruler, then we aren't talking about full screen mode. When I go to full screen, all I have showing is my document and the toolbar to get out of full screen mode. So, I'm wondering what's going on here.

Do you have a margin ruler across the top and side, or just the side?

Do you have the 3 boxes on the top right of the screen to minimize, maximize, and close the program? Anyway you can give us a screenshot of how this looks?

Also, when you say you uninstalled and re-installed, were you talking about uninstalling the updates and then re-installing them? Just looking for clarification.

7. DPHcaninc

DPHcaninc Private E-2

Found the answer in a Microsoft MVP FAQ site, if anyone is interested, here it is:
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissngMenusEtc.htm

Seems I had a corrupt registry key. The fix was to run winword.exe /a from the start button. Apparently this rebuilt the registry key - don't know how but it worked. Thanks for your help. :)

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Good catch.. I couldn't find anything on it.. Glad you got it sorted out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds