can't install OEM win98se over win95???

Discussion in 'Software' started by ej1245, Oct 16, 2004.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, I have an old win95 pc and I'm trying to install win98se to it. When the win98se full install cd is in I get a message that I can only upgrade from a win98 "upgrade" disc. Is there a way around this??

2. GNigma

GNigma Private E-2

Formating your disk where win95 is in it, that could solve the problem.

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

now I've done it. I read where typing Ren C:\Windows\Win.com Win.old then inserting boot disc, then changing to D: drive then typing D:setup.exe is supposed to install from the cd.....not! Now the pc only comes up to the C:. I can't even access win95 anymore! I put the boot disk in and I don't know where to go from there. I can't get it to read the D drive. abort,retry,fail.....help.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You would be far better off formating and doing a fresh install, especially now. (Also, some versions of 95 use FAT16 and not FAT32)

If you want a fresh install, then set your bios to boot from CD Rom, and reboot with your Windows 98 CD loaded.

If that fails for some reason, just use floppy boot disc's and format and install 98.

5. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

why not get with the future and invest in a copy of WiNXP and get a new PC or add a few enhancements to the old like a $39 mobo and CPU from FRY's and a little more RAM>>>don't cost much these days?

Bo :p

6. Insomniac

Well if you're paying, put me down for a couple too.

BTW, you sound like a door to door salesman. :p

7. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

OK Insomniac! Although my reply directly implied spending SOME bucks to upgrade, makes a whole lot more sense than trying to patch up old obsolete operating sytems, don't you think? I do.. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense trying to patch up old systems when a modest expenditure can eliminate all these problems. Please explain snide remark.

Bo :p

8. airwolf9090

airwolf9090 Corporal

hey i format my pc every few months and reinstall win98se now keep inmind i have not done this in a few months what you need to do is this restart you computer in dos mode thin type C:\ thin hit enter and thin type format C:\ thin hit y thin enter when its done restart with the windows98se boot disk in the drive thats if you cant load off the win98se cd you should see a menu pop up select start windows with cd-rom support and when its done put in the win98se cd in the cd-rom drive and type D:\setup thin enter and it should do a scandisk thin it should start the setup process and i think you should beable to do the rest by yourself is that all you needed

9. Insomniac

No, I don't think.

Windows 98 is far from being old or obsolete.

Anyway, your suggestion didn't help the author one iota.

He didn't ask for advice on upgrading to the latest operating system and hardware, merely a problem with installing Windows 98.

You don't know the person's financial position or requirements, so to assume that you do is more of a "snide remark" than my reply, which you have obviously misinterpreted as being derogatory. :p

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

That message is normal.
    Yes simple way around it.
    Do you have windows 98 SE boot disk (its a Floppy that comes with win 98se)
    it has Fdisk, which you can use to Format by deleteing partition & creating new one.
    If you dont have, you can download Fdisk.

So basicly, ya just wipe the hdd clean, Then create a new partition, then that win98se will load no problem.

Can download here?:
    http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=65

11. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

Actually Insom. It's not WIN98 they are trying to replace but but WIN95 with WIN98 and YES, it is definitely old and definitely obsolete. To mention someone's financial situation has not a whole lot to do with installing XP. Get real dude (or dudette)! They are gonna save a whole lot more time and money with a current OP system than pissing away time and money trying to make old operating sytems satisfy present day requirements.

BO

.and yes my answer went a long way towards solving their problems...If they and you were disposed to listen instead of trying to perpetuate problems resident with OLD op systems..that's why they keep coming out with UPGRADES..read UPGRADES...means progress >>faster, smarter, better, less issues..old operating sytems create nothing but problems trying to keep pace with present day technology. copice?

Get with the future...

12. Insomniac

Where did I say they were trying to replace Windows 98 with Windows 95????

If you think that "other" operating systems are obselete (Just because you don't approve), then what if you have applications that won't run on XP ?(Even with compatibility and the Application Compatibility Toolkit, some applications won't run)

You helped no one, and this "debate" isn't helping the author. Goodbye.

13. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

Insom..you're right!! sorry for the hassle..sleep well

Bo

14. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

15. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Perhaps he has a lot of stuff on his drive that he doesn't want to lose by formatting? If it's an older machine, he probably doesn't have a CD burner in it to save files with.

ej1245, the instructions you followed allow you to 'fool' the OEM install by renaming the win.com file to Win.old (that's the only file the install checks for), but it sounds like your boot disk doesn't have the CD-ROM drivers, which it wouldn't if you created it with the 'start disk' option in Win95. You can download a Win98SE boot disk at www.bootdisk.com which will load the CD-ROM drivers upon boot up, allowing you to access the drive. It may move your CD-ROM drive to "E:\" instead of "D:\", so remember that when you go to run "setup.exe". Good luck.

16. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds