cant install operating system on sony vaio

Discussion in 'Software' started by pongo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

:cryok my kids seemed to delete the partican that the xp was on...so im trying to get another in it..either xp or windows 7 ..everytime i try xp i have to partican it but it either stays at 0% or goes to 100% but then fails..when trying to get 7 in it the dvd boots up i click install but then get a driver missing error it asks me to chose location but done work..is there a way of getting this laptop to take any operating system...

when i just turn on laptop all i get is error loading operating system so i have to boot from dvd drive...

2. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

all i ever get is setup was unable to format the partition the disk may be damaged..

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

How important is it to get the information that is currently on the disk. There is freeware software that will try to recover a deleted partition. But, since you have already tried to partition, I am not sure what luck you will have. Sony has a recovery partition on some of their computers that can accessed by hitting F10 or Alt-F10 during boot. This would recover your computer to the state it was when purchased. Also you could try to partition and format with a GParted Live CD. Just make sure to use NTFS as a file system.

Tutorial: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Freeware to recover deleted partition:
    Partition Wizard bootable CD: you will have to burn the iso.

Good Luck

4. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i download this
    Code:
    http://download.cnet.com/Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html?part=dl-6285158&subj=dl&tag=button

but i see no image file only a exe program?

5. tgell

That is not the one you want. That is for installing if you have an operating system and since yours does not boot, you will have to download from here. End of the page.

How to recover a partition.

The link I gave in my previous post explains the boot CD.

6. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. tgell

That is the one you want. Just burn it with any burning software. I personally use Imgburn.

8. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

having a hard time getting it to boot from dvd drive....

9. tgell

Did you burn to a CD or a DVD? Also, when and if you get it to boot from the CD, how many partitions are shown? Also, I assume you can boot from a CD because you were able to boot the Windows XP CD, correct? Try burning the iso with Imgburn (freeware). I have had better luck with this software when it comes to burning image files.

10. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i burned to dvd but i still cant get it to boot from dvd drive all i get is black screen saying error loading operating system..

when i got xp to boot i had like 3 particens when i got windows 7 to boot there was no partican screen just install setup..

11. tgell

Can you try burning to a CD, not DVD, using Imgburn? Also, not sure why it is saying error loading operating system because it should be starting to load the CD first. What is the model number of your computer? Also, I read that it might be possible to get to the restore partition by hitting the Fn and R keys during the Sony screen. When you boot, do you initially see a Sony screen?

12. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

its a sony notebook computor model PCG-971L

yea i do see a sony screen

13. tgell

That model is no longer listed on their website and it seems to be quite old. It is somewhat equivalent to the PCG-FXA36 which is listed. How much ram does it have? You probably will not be able to load Windows 7 on it. You have the XP install CD, correct? Can you try again hitting the F10 key repeatedly when you see the Sony screen? Can you try to boot with the disk you created in the machine you are posting with to make sure the CD is not corrupted? If you still cannot boot with the CD, get Gparted Live CD iso and burn that. Its the gparted-live-0.6.4-1.iso. You will not be able to restore the partition with it but you should be able to boot off of it and see the partitions. It has always worked for me.

14. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok all try it thanks...

15. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok how do i boot from it when i have to put in xp cd ??im running recovery wizard now?im really not sure what to do now.

16. tgell

You have now booted to the Partition Wizard CD correctly? If so, what partitions do you see. You are trying to recover the partition that was deleted. Are you sure the xp partition was deleted?. If so, follow the procedure below. Also, at the bottom of the page is a video tutorial.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

You said you had an error loading operating system.

Before you partition and format the drive the drive, you might want to do a repair first. This will only work if you have not deleted the xp partition.

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/

If you are not sure what to do, it would be best to let someone help you.

If the partition recovery or repair does not work, are you okay with formatting and doing a clean install of xp? Do you need any important information on the laptop?

17. tgell

Sorry,
    I think I misunderstood. You are at the Sony Recovery Wizard? If so, just follow the prompts.

# In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, click the Next button.
    # Under Recovery Options , click to select the C Drive Recovery option.
    # Click the Next button.

NOTES:

* A C Drive Recovery will return the C:/ drive to its original, factory-installed state. All software and data on the C:/ drive will be erased. If there is a D:/ drive, it is unaffected.
    * Only a C Drive Recovery can be performed using the VAIO Recovery Wizard on the Recovery Drive. For a Custom Recovery with options for removing or reinstalling the Recovery Drive, use the Recovery Media Kit.

# Under C Drive Recovery , click the Next button.
    # Under Click Finish... , click the Finish button.

NOTE: The computer will restart.
    # Under Recovery Progress , when the recovery is Completed , click the Next button.
    # Under The Recovery process is complete , click the Finish button.
    # After the computer restarts, the operating system setup wizard will start. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup wizard.

18. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

when the program loads it asks me which to boot up ...

this is minitool partiton wizard home edition v5.2

are we on the same padge here.

19. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i tryed to boot from local disk the com is just sitting there black screen with booting from local disk at the top but nothing is happening...so this must mean everything was erased?

20. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

but know everytime i reboot the com it says booting from local disk......

21. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok im in minitool partican wizard but i have no C Drive Recovery option...

22. tgell

You will not get a C: drive recovery option. You will have to select the disk with the missing partition and then select partition recovery. If a partition on the disk cannot be recovered, the partition recovery option will be grayed out. After the scan, it will list any partitions that will be available for recovery. Did you see the video tutorial on the link I gave? The link to the video is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

23. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

iv ran the program but the partican says existing no lost...at the bottom of the program it says please try power data recovery..

24. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

iv loaded the xp pro disk it took me to the partican setup its on c patrition1 NTFS 19069MB 19004 MB OF FREE

ON 19078 MB DISK 0 AT ID 0 ON BUS 0 ON ATAPI MBR

THATS the info on the screen but its still at 0% its been 20 min.??

25. tgell

When you had the Mini Tool CD booted, how many partitions were shown and what are there sizes and the type of each? Either Logical or Primary. You may also have a bad drive.

26. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Please do let tgell know how many partitions and their sizes you see on the disk.

Since the WinXP CD would be formatting and destroying all your old data anyway I would think that you might try using the PartitionWizard to attempt formatting the partition and then boot from the XP CD and attempt install on the newly formatted partition.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/format-partition.html

27. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

it shows 2

filesystem capacity used unused status type

NTFS 18.62 gb 65.21 mb used 18.56GB UNUSED ACTIVE PRIMARY

unallocated 7.84mb 0(b) used 7.84 MB UNUSED NONE LOGICAL

28. sach2

It doesn't look like you have anything worth saving on that hard drive at this point. I would try formatting the large partition with PartitionWizard and see if it can complete the process.

If it hangs I would delete the partition, create a new one and format it with Partition Wizard. Then try installing XP.

Or you could try just deleting the partition with PW and then booting from the XP CD and see if it offers to install using unused space on the drive. I believe it would then automatically create and format the new partition before install.

29. tgell

30. sach2

tgell, I read this
    as only 65mb of used space on the C: drive which is not enough for the old WindowsXP installation. The old installation can't be recovered from what I see. I think a fresh install will be necessary.

31. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok i clicked on this NTFS 18.62 gb 65.21 mb used 18.56GB UNUSED ACTIVE PRIMARY
    then clicked on format then apply it said successfull...

so should i try xp again

32. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i dont have oringal disk..

33. tgell

I thought you said you had an XP pro CD. Do you have the Product Key for the Disk? Is this the disk you received with the computer?

I read the sizes of the disk wrong. sach2 is right. You will have to do a clean installation.

34. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

yes i do have a xp pro disk with key but its not mine. i just want to get anything in this computor then i can go from there ..i tryed a clean install but did not work.

i never got a cd with this computor..

35. tgell

You said the clean install did not work. You might have a bad hard drive if the clean installed failed. What happened. Well, if the person who gave the XP disk to you no longer has the operating system on his computer and it is not an OEM disk, you could probably call Microsoft to activate it. If it does not activate, you will have to purchase a copy of XP because Vista and Windows 7 will not work on this computer.

36. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

right now im at windows setup.....

should i set up windows xp on selected item partican 1

or should i create a partition in the unpartitioned space???

37. tgell

Well, you formatted the partition. I would say to continue to install to partition 1.

38. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i did that its still at 0% for 25 min now.

39. tgell

I would say you have a bad hard drive. Do you have another drive to substitute? I am sorry that I cannot offer any more help than that. Maybe somebody here can offer some other advice.

40. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

no i dont...but why when i put in the windows 7 disk it goes right to install ..but i get a locate driver pop up while installing so that messes me up......but with xp it takes me to the partican screen??no install

41. tgell

The only thing I can recommend is to use the Mini Tool CD and delete all partitions. Then create one partition for the full hard drive and then format with NTFS. Then, boot with the xp cd and try to install. Maybe the XP CD is defective. You could also do a google search for a hard drive diagnostic tool for your particular drive manufacturer. I believe Seagate and Western Digital have bootable iso files to check the drive status. Maybe somebody here has another idea.

42. sach2

It has been a while since I did an XP install what is it trying to do when it freezes at 0%?

It asks where you want to install then you say Partition 1...and then what does it say before it freezes?

43. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok i got it to format 100% but then i get setup was unable to format the partition.the disk may be damaged.

make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer.if the disk is a SCSI disk,make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated.

you must select a different partition for windows xp.

44. sach2

One other option you might consider is downloading a LinuxMint Iso (Live CD 32bit) http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and burning it to CD as an image using imgburn. (Note: It's a large download about 700mb)

That would let you run Linux which looks much like Windows off the CD rather than the HD. You don't have to know any technical commands. You could get internet, media playing and document processing.

If you liked it you could try and install it and see if it works or if any errors you get are more helpful in pinpointing the problem.

You can always try installing XP again later.

I would try tgell's suggestion of deleting all partitions with PW and trying to install XP again first since it is simpler. Maybe even use PW's "Wipe Disk" option with the fill sectors with zeros selection. That will give a clean slate. Then see if the XP installation Cd can create and format a partition for install.

45. sach2

I'm reading through this guide http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/install.mspx when you get to the screen in picture #6 on your laptop what does it show for partitions/space?

If you hit "D" you can delete any existing partitions. Which I would do. You should then get a screen showing unpartitioned space on which you would select the option to use the unpartitioned space (should be about 19000mb) to install XP and see if you get through picture #8.

46. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

on picture 6 i got

c partition 1 fat 32 19069MB 18471MB free

unpartition space 8MB

47. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i think i got something here...i booted up from c drive and got disk check..ok know it installing windows...

48. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok windows installed but everything i click on say windows cannot access the specified device or file you may not have the appropiate permission to access them...

49. sach2

In My Computer if you click on the C: do you have more than one Windows folder? Like Windows and Windows1?

Can you get into any folder on the C: drive?

50. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

no it has 1(C) thats it...yes i can get in it..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds