Can't install Service Pack 3 on XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by juliasdream, Oct 27, 2013.

1. juliasdream

juliasdream Private E-2

I managed to install SP3 a while ago but the HP Presario desktop computer was running so badly that no amount of clean ups did much good so I did a complete factory reset direct from the recovery partition.
    Now it's running great and I can see it has SP2 included in the reset but all attempts at installing SP3 have failed
    My first attempt was to try and get SP3 by running Windows update
    This didn't work because I discovered that now Win Updates only works with SP3 creating a catch 22
    I searched through windows help and found out how to manually download an install SP3
    I downloaded it and ran the installation and guess what? It failed and I got an error code which I'm afraid I didn't note down
    Each attemot resulted in the same error so having noticed during the installation process a restore point was created I ran system restore so that I could start over
    Now it starts the process, creates a restore point and tells me its completed but it obviously hasn't because it's showing to still be on SP2 so it looks like I'm stuck
    Computer is working fine but cant update windows.
    Normally I'd live with it but on hearing that Windows will stop supporting XP next April I feel it's important to get the system up to date while I still can
    If anyone can give some easy to understand advice while I have some hair left I'd be very grateful

Compaq Presario SR2019UK
    It has an AMD 64 3500+ processor
    Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002
    Attempts to use Windows Update result in Error Number 0x80190194

Simple to understand advice please as Microsoft help pages are either missing the point or far too daunting

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

juliasdream...hello, were you by chance attempting to install SP3 from a backup hard drive. I noticed recently that it wouldn't install from a remote drive location on my PC. The installer apparently has to be on the main drive.

The updates is the standard one for an XP system that doesn't have SP3 installed...

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Apologies...I mean updates error

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds