Can't install windows on dell inspiron mini

Discussion in 'Software' started by geeking, Jul 16, 2012.

1. geeking

geeking Private E-2

Hello. I have a Dell inspiron mini 10. when i turn it on i get

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
    Operating system not found

I've tried to install xp and vista. for xp it copies all the files, everything looks normal, but when it restarts it doesnt install the xp. it boots straight to the xp disk again. Same with Vista.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

You are getting this message because you are trying to boot from a network. Does BIOS see the hard drive? If not, reseat the hard drive. If it still does not see the hard drive, the hard drive is dead or you have a hardware problem. If BIOS see the hard drive, set the hard drive as first boot device in BIOS.

Start Dell Diagnostics. If F12 does not work, try 0

3. geeking

geeking Private E-2

thanx for the reply tgell. I found the problem. the hdd was disabled. i pressed ctrl+enter and it expanded the options. next to the the hdd was a !. i then pressed shift+1 and it enabled the hdd. it seems like it solved the problem. I'm loading the windows right now. lets hope it was that.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Nice work and glad you got if fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds