Can't install Windows updates on XP machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomas_nuffan, Jan 8, 2011.

1. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

I can't seem to install windows updates on this XP professional machine.(with service pack 3)

When I try and download/install any further updates, I get the stop code: 0x80070643.

I've been on Microsoft's KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052 but that didn't prove any results.

I've also tried this KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

still nothing. Short from Reformatting and starting over I'm hitting a wall here.

This machine was infected with viruses previously which have since been removed.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Thomas

Try this HERE and see if it works, but also attach the update log file as per HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post as it may hold a clue.

That code generally links to an update thats already started to install and maybe a few reboot could fix this, but the log may highlight the area thats causing this, but options 9 and 10 HERE may help.

Do disable or uninstall any security apps and reboot and try again to test that a security app is not blocking WU.

3. thomas_nuffan

Thanksfor the quick reply David.

I do not see any links n your post though.

also side note: I'm ran malwarebytes (with updated definitions of course) in safe mode, a avira resuce cd, a vipre deep scan (updated definitions-installed and run in safe mode AFTER attempt with avira rescue cd) and combo fix to remove viruses

4. thomas_nuffan

ps. I've also tried installing updates with no active virus scanner or firewall enabled.

If I go to shut down the computer it says it's installing the updates, however, upon reboot the same updates appear

5. thomas_nuffan

pss. I've also stopped the automatic updates service and deleted the files in the "downloads" and "DataStore" folders of the SoftwareDitribution folder..

6. thomas_nuffan

When all else fails, reformat!

I'm assuming after this machine was so badly infected, even after the virus removal that something was either damaged or corrupt so.

I always love the smell of a clean windows install

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I'd run a sfc /scannow, then do a windows over windows repair if there is a lot of stuff on the system you don't want to reload.
    Alternate XP update programs: Autopatcher apup updater or
    http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds