Can't keep Icons and font size large

Discussion in 'Software' started by john0109, Jul 1, 2010.

1. john0109

john0109 Private E-2

:( We recently purchased a 22" widescreen Samsung EX2220 LCD monitor. Unfortunately the icons and labels on thedesktop and the teston the toolbars, taskbars, drop down menus are too small. I've changed the setting several times (Control Panel -display-Appearance-"Font Size" and all the "advanced" settings.) By doing this the fonts and text gets larger. However, every time we re-boot, all the settings go back to the way they were - small.
    Does anyone know how to keep they large after a reboot?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    John

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Here's my handy-dandy list for increasing font and image sizing. You can set some or all of these settings. This list was originally for Vista and IE, but most, if not all will work in Windows 7:

1. DPI - Right click on Desktop, Personalize, On Personalization Page, go to left column to: Adjust Font size – DPI, DPI Scaling: Click on Large scale (120 DPI), and click Apply.

2. At the lower right hand corner of every IE web page, there’s a Zoom control that lets you increase the size of every web page, and it stays at that Zoom setting for every page. I keep mine at 125%.

3. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, General, Accessibility, Select Ignore font styles specified on web pages, check boxes and click OK, then Apply, then OK.

4. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, uncheck all three:
    Reset text size to Medium for new windows and tabs, and
    Reset text size to Medium while Zooming, and
    Reset Zoom level to 100% for new windows and tabs

5. Open Internet Explorer, click the Page button, click Text Size, and then select the size you want i.e. Large (Largest may be too large).

6. Ease of Access Center – Go to: Control Panel, and Explore all settings. Under the following heading, Make things on the screen larger, select: Change the size of text + icons. This takes you to the dpi settings screen.

7. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, use command/ctrl + your scroll on a web page to increase the font size.

8. Magnifier – For those instances when you need to magnify a certain portion of the screen - go to Start, in the Search pane, type in "magnifier" + click the program at the top. (To read more about Magnifier go to Start, click "Help & Support" on the right hand side, type in "magnifier.") Magnifier is actually located at: Start, All Programs, Accessories, Ease of Access, Magnifier.

( Open Internet Explorer, Internet Options, Appearance, Fonts, How to ignore present fonts - The notes refer you to numbers 2, 4, 5 and 7).

To increase font size permanently in FireFox: go to Tools, Options, Content, and on that screen set the new default text size that you wish.
    Then, click Advanced and there are additional default text size settings. Plus, in the box that says "Minimum text size" select None, and down below, UNcheck the box that says "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my selections above." Also, see this link: nosquint

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds