Can't Kill Multiple Open Internet Ports

Discussion in 'Software' started by Virtual Madness, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Virtual Madness

Virtual Madness Private E-2

Hi,

I've been referred here by Kestrel13! in the Malware Forum. Essentially, we've gone through the motions with my system to make sure its' 100% clean - Kestrel13! confirmed it is...

I've copied below the first and last logs...can anyone help put this issue to bed???? :(

Hi guys,

I’m new to the Forum, so please be gentle…

Okay, I’m hoping the Techie genius of all time ends up reading this to help me out with a mind-boggling problem. I’m not a novice, but I’m not an expert either when it comes to Hardware/Software and the nuts and bolts of it all, but I can find my way around okay, at least I thought I could.

A few months ago, my hard disk failed in my laptop (it was about 10-years old!), so I used dd rescue (via a Linux Live CD) to recover as much as possible to an external hard drive (my normal back-up method was about 2-weeks out-of-date annoyingly, so I needed to recover documents etc).

I bought a new hard disk and re-installed everything (Windows XP SP3 and other programs relevant to my everyday needs), along with customization of settings etc. Everything was hunky dory and back to normal for a while, but then, after visiting a well known ‘Cash Back’ website on a particular occasion, I noticed that iexplore.exe ‘hung’ in Task Manager. I could visit other websites, such as a well-known auction site amongst others, and wouldn’t see the problem i.e. after closing the browser (IE8 in this instance), iexplore.exe would end as you would expect.

Initially thinking it was a virus, spyware or malware etc. I ran just about every scan I could find (using both commercial, freeware and even on-line scan packages), but couldn’t find a single thing/infection. I then tried using Mozilla Firefox and Opera Browsers, just to see how they would react. Exactly the same problem/outcome i.e. okay with a majority of websites, but not when visiting the cash back website where I first noticed the problem (it’s started happening with other websites I’m visiting now).

Process Explorer, Task Kill, UVK and even the Windows cmd prompt cannot kill the ‘hanging’ .exe file – it’s a reboot situation to clear it. I’ve re-set and re-installed IE8, ran ComboFix, HJT and loads more, but just can’t find the problem. Emsisoft’s ASquared also confirms weird behaviour with the open ports i.e. before visiting the websites that cause the problem, the open ports are as you would expect – when I visit one of the websites that cause the issue, many (sometimes 20+) instances of iexplore.exe ports will open, cmd prompt ‘netstat –a’ doesn’t show anything out of the ordinary either. Oh by the way, when I submit the results on-line to Emsisoft ASquared, it comes back with results confirming that malicious programs use a certain port that I seem to have open, but the malicious type and port that’s open, changes every single time I submit a scan – it’s completely random.

After many, many nights of head scratching, I’m simply lost with this one – yes, I’ve disabled all add-on’s (regardless of browser type) and tried to browse with the bare bones (in IE8, Mozilla Firefox and Opera), but the same problem occurs - the browser will hang and nothing will kill it except for a reboot.

Oh and last night as a last ditch attempt, I reset and even went on to flash the firmware of the BT Business Broadband 2wire 2700HGV Hub – no change, the problem continues in the same manner as before.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it’s a bit of background info. for the genius I’m hoping will ultimately end up resolving this for me - if he’s out there listening?

Many thanks in advance,
    Virtual Madness.

Hi Kestrel13!

I've done as you asked - I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and decided to stay with Symantec Endpoint Protection for antivirus.

I also uninstalled those left over AVG Folders.

TDSS Killer Log attached.
    MBRCheck Log attached.

I'm pleased my initial thoughts were right and that I don't appear to have an infected system! So what on earth could be causing the browser process to hang after closing the window (with multiple open internet ports) and then refuse to be terminated by any means (Command Prompt, Task Manager, Process Explorer, UVK)? As I mentioned before, it doesn't matter if it's IE8, Mozilla Firefox or Opera (with or without add-ons), they all react in the same way...the process just hangs after trying to close it!?!

There's something weird going on - hence the request for help

I'm sure we'll get there in the end, I just need you guys to help me along the way, as I've run out of ideas.

Look forward to hearing from you ref. the next step.

Best regards,
    Virtual Madness.

Hi there. Those logs are clean too. You can ask about your issues in the software forum. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds