Can't login! lsass.exe & services.exe. Not Sasser - I think

Discussion in 'Software' started by programmer04, Jul 15, 2008.

1. programmer04

programmer04 Private First Class

First, a little history:

My computer suddenly stopped working one day about a month ago. I turned on the power and the power light and hard drive light came on, and that's all that happened. No flickering HDD light, nothing on the monitor, just two solid lights going forever and ever. My computer had turned into an expensive, hi tech night light. So, I stripped everything inside down to the bare necessities: power supply, video card, and hard drive (and of course the motherboard). I only got the same result. I then started swapping parts out with the power supply first, then the video card, then the hard drive. It wasn't until I swapped out the motherboard with an older one that I was finally able to boot up (with all of the original hardware in place).

Jump forward to yesterday: I decided to replace the processor (P4) and switch back to the original motherboard. After doing so I tried to boot up. Everything seemed to be going fine up to the point where Windows should have started loading (right at the point where you can hit F8 and choose what mode to boot in), but the computer rebooted, and kept rebooting at that same point. So I used my XP Pro cd and did a repair on the installed OS. I went through almost the entire process without any problems. It was after the second reboot in this process that there was a problem. At the point when my user account name should have come up I recieved two errors, twice: (1) lsass.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc015000f). Click on OK to terminate the application. (2) services.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc015000f). Click on OK to terminate the application. The only option is "OK" and all I'm left with is a blank screen with a cursor. Right click doesn't work. CTRL, ALT, DEL doesn't work. ESC doesn't work. Nothing except the cursor movement. I've tried to boot in Safe Mode, but all I got was a blank screen with "Safe Mode" in each corner, and a cursor. :confused

Now, if I have the same hardware (including the hard drive) on an older motherboard with an older, slower processor (older AMD) and the computer boots up fine, then is the problem software related only or is there a conflict with the newer motherboard and/or new (used) processor? My thoughts are that the motherboard needs to be replaced. The Windows XP Pro cd I used is an Upgrade cd. I used this cd recently to repair my other computer with no problems, so the cd is in good condition. I don't see how a virus like Sasser could affect different motherboards and not the hard drive. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. programmer04

Just ran "chkdsk /p" and it said there was at least 1 bad sector, which is strange since I ran it just before the repair and it was fine. I then ran "chkdsk /r", then "chkdsk /p" again and everything seemed ok. I rebooted and when it got to the same place where the previous problem occurred I got a new error message: "winlogog.exe - Bad Image - The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03\comctl32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette. Then I got the lsass.exe and services.exe errors again, but this time only once each. I also got a "Rtvscan.exe - Bad Image" error.

After these errors I got the "Welcome" screen that you get after reinstalling files, but after that I got a plain blue screen with just a cursor. No accounts were listed to logon.

I am going to reboot and do a chkdsk again to make sure it's still clear, then I'll try another repair.

3. programmer04

Ok, now I'm just not sure. It seems that every time I boot with the cd and use the recovery console and do a "chkdsk /p" there are one or more errors on the volume, even if I do use "chkdsk /r" each time. This sounds like a problem with the hard drive, BUT it seems to work fine when I switch to the other older motherboard. I haven't tried the repair again because I figured "what's the use" if there's constantly errors on the hard drive. I will do no more until I hear from someone about this.

(I have too much important info on my hard drive and as far as I can tell it's all still there. I checked it when I briefly switched back to the old motherboard. So, doing a clean install is not an option! Besides, I don't have a fresh installation cd, just the upgrade.)

4. programmer04

Does anyone know anything about or anyway to fix "comctl32.dll" from the recovery console or anywhere else outside of Windows?? There are numerous websites that claim to fix this, which is in the registry, but I would have to do it from the affected computer - which I can't logon to. I was wondering if there was a way to download or copy this file and replace the one I have with the new file. The errors are telling me that my file is either bad or invalid but according to Microsoft.com it is extremely necessary to operate windows properly (which I already figured out).

5. Gundragon

Gundragon Private E-2

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have ran the chkdsk /r on the computer and it still has the same issue as Programmer04. If anyone can give an idea as to what to do to fix this I would appreciate it. I need to pull information from this computer for a user here at my office.

Thank you!

6. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Did u check your boot sector from the computer that originally started with?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds